eggs now under!

• 6 Replies

Silkysmooth

eggs now under!
« on: July 07, 2010, 00:25 »
Hi Everyone,

My broody black rock is now on top of my fertile eggs in a separate coop. The coop doesn't have a run but has a separate nesting box which she is now inside and warming them eggs up nicely.

I have 3 questions: -

1. Does it matter about about a run for her until the chicks hatch?

2. If the chicks hatch, will they need any heaters or will mum do everything for them?

3. Is there any other tips?

Thanks

klou

Re: eggs now under!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 09:48 »
One baby hatched 4 days ago and is running around the pen with Mum, locked in the coup at night. She is teaching her/him all the things good chicks should know. Mum does everything. I have a kilner jar upturned in a large garden saucer for her to drink, she can't drown and I am feeding her with organic chick crumbs, lightly wetted. Mum breaks the ground for her to forage.

The other three eggs seem to be left for most of the day and when I felt them yesterday they were very cold. Does this mean they will not hatch? I have not raised chicks before and would not like to move the eggs if there is a chance the chicks are ready to break free.

Klou

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:16 »
they will need a run as soon as they have all hatched (hatching can take a couple of days). Have a shallow dish of chick crumb either medicated or not, and a shallow drinker or dish with marbles in for their water. there is no need to wet the chick crumb. They will stay with their mum for about 5 weeks and will keep coming back to her when they want reassurance or heat.
klou - If the broody has left some eggs and taken the others out to forage for food then those eggs must be disposed off, you will not get any chicks from them. They were either infertile or died during the pre hatch period. Whilst the mum and other chicks are out of the coup give it a good clean out and remove all the old bedding, eggs and shell bits. Broodies are prone to mites and lice so cleanliness is most important.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:52 »
Hi,

Our broody hatched 8 chicks two weeks ago and she is teaching them all they need to know, you will get to recognise the 'food clucks' she gives to let the chicks know to come and eat. Feathers grow remarkably quickly, as does the preening and 'scratch, step back and eat' instincts.

We used to take her off the eggs twice a day for about 10 minutes max so that she could stretch, eat etc. Even though there was food and water within beak reach, she never seemed to touch them when she was on the eggs and we had to tempt her with food in our hands. She would also seem to know when it was time to finish walking about and get back on the eggs without encouragement, although from day 20 we left her on them. By this time you could hear little cheeps and pecks from inside the eggs  ::).

She had a good dusting with lice powder after about ten days as she was scratching around the face a bit, and even though we cleaned out the bedding regularly she had never pooped in it, but yes, a good idea to do this to get rid of unseen and unwanted guests.

We also put out water in shallow dishes, but it didn't take long (maybe 2-3 days) before they had been taught to drink from the big girls drinking water.

When she was taken off the eggs, we kept them covered with a thick towel to keep them warm.

Good luck - they are a great source of fun - much better than tv :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:56 by Tazzy »

klou

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42 »
Many thanks for your replies.

I have taken the un-hatched eggs as she has been in the pen all morning with the little one. I have left plenty of dry soil in the pen and Mum is enjoying her bath and seems to be clean although I will renew all the bedding. I did clean the house removing the shavings, replacing with fine sand before the hatch. The mum poops outside, inside is very clean but I will change the nest again.

I would like to ask about being an only chick. When I let Mum leave she will not be warm enough. Should I get some day-old chicks for company? Will Mum accept them? My other girls were vicious to Mum when I let her out during the waiting. I had to lock them in the yard. How and when can I let her out safely?

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 13:03 »
My broody took her one and only chick out in all weathers, freezing cold, chucking it down, windy - you name it.  I was horrified to think that my incubator chicks were under a cozy electric hen all the time when this little one was out and about knee deep in mud.

However the little one was able to nip under mum when she was cold, and got a ride around on mum's back, and the only idfference between her and the incubator chicks is that she is a bit smaller - but she is much more out going and into everything, and not as timid when exploring new places as the others.

Mum and chick should be let out together (in fact they will never be apart, and if you try to separate them they will beth get very distressed) in a separate pen for at least the first week or two.  Then when the chick as grown a little (and they grow so fast when newly hatched!) they can spend more time with the rest of the hens - mum will protect her.  When she was brooding, the other hens were probably attacking mum to get her back on the nest.

klou

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:02 »
Very reassuring. Thank you. I will keep them in the pen together for another week or two. The rest of the girls are very jealous and attack the pen when I put feed into the pen,  I have to give them a taste too. Cyril the rooster and Mum go beak to beak through the wire, you would think that they were kissing!  :tongue2:
Unfortunately the other 3 eggs were found unprotected and cold when the nest box was broken into overnight before the hatch was due. Why I can't think. the eggs weren't taken. Mum was unreachable in a corner with the chick under her.

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 30 queries.