Broody hen?

• 1 Replies

jaws

Broody hen?
« on: July 06, 2010, 23:40 »
I am fairly new to hen keeping - I have two. They are about 18 months old and been laying reasonably regularly for about 14 months. They don't seem to have moulted.
One now seems to be spending all her time in the nesting box in the coop - I even have to shove her out when I bring treats. Is this brooding? I have removed the china egg and the other hen's egg when she lays one. How long does it usually last? and how can I discourage brooding if that is the right thing to do?
She looks well - bright eyes, red comb and perky when she does emerge from the coop for the treats.
This one does tend to lay multiple soft shelled egs so I don't expect her to continue laying as long as the other hen - could this be connected?
Thanks for any suggestions
Joan

Beano

Re: Broody hen?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:56 »
I have a white hen that has just come out of being broody for the second time this year.
This last bout lasted at least six weeks. I just let her get on with it and just push her out now and again. She then scratches about and has a quick dust bath a drink and back in.
Your chicken's comb will get paler as the weeks go on but will soon recover when she comes out of broodiness. If you dont want to let her be broody you can put her in a cage on her own, in sight of the others, with food and drink but with mesh under her so that she can cool down and not get too comfy. Apparently this works well. I've never tried it myself. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
El.

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 28 queries.