Hose pipe ban. Does it apply to us???

• 43 Replies

andy135

Hose pipe ban. Does it apply to us???
« on: July 06, 2010, 22:00 »
On a recent thread, I made a coment that our assoc chairman stated that any coming hosepipe ban did not apply to us as we were considered to be food production. Today, he has said that he has been in touch with the federation who have stated that we do have to comply with local water restrictions and failure to do so may result in a £1000 fine.
Has anyone got  any accurate information on this please?

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Re: Hose pipe ban. Does it apply to us???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 22:11 »
Sorry cant answer your question but I would have thought the ban would have applied, allotments are not food production for commercial purposes just personal use.

Surely someone will confirm soon - you can still use your watering can

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 22:21 »
Hosepipe bans only cover private land, so if your allotment is council run you are ok. Sprinklers on the other hand would be banned.

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 06:56 »
May seem a stupid question...
How are they inforced...? I mean whose to know if you give yr veg a quick squirt etc

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:53 »
If you've got a little money to spend, you can get a pump to stick in your water butt that will easily run a hose pipe. I got one off ebay for about £30. On the allotment (don't have one yet, grrr) if you don't have power, you could run it off a car battery and a small inverter no problem. Mine is sufficient to run a small sprinkler or hose with a rose attachment no problem.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 08:02 »
May seem a stupid question...
How are they inforced...? I mean whose to know if you give yr veg a quick squirt etc
I am sure it would not be long before a fellow plot holder or someone living nearbye reported you. Probably the committee members would ask you to stop. It is difficult to hide wet ground.

I do not mind farmers amd market gardeners irrigating when private individuals are banned but I do get upset when golf greens are watered.

Johnnywesto

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:25 »
........just to cap it all it rained here in Barrow last night and this morning and just to add insult to injury Black Combe and the local hills are swathed in rainclouds as I type this.

The real crime, of course, is that English Heritage (or some other bunch of tourism Nazis) refuse to allow the water companies to divert the top 2 or 3 inches off the top of Windermere and a couple of the other lakes because it'd leave a tourist/photograph un-friendly tide-mark around their precious cash-cow. Aesthetics :mad:
I'm off for a pint

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:29 »
If you've got a little money to spend, you can get a pump to stick in your water butt that will easily run a hose pipe. I got one off ebay for about £30. On the allotment (don't have one yet, grrr) if you don't have power, you could run it off a car battery and a small inverter no problem. Mine is sufficient to run a small sprinkler or hose with a rose attachment no problem.

And when the butt's empty? It won't take long using a pump!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 08:48 »

How can I confirm the "council-owned" land exemption claimed earlier in this thread?

Apparently United Utilities is likely to impose a hosepipe ban from this weekend in the NW, according to the radio this morning. Don't mind my lawn drying up at home really, but would like to keep my crops fed and watered on my council lotty.

Do I need to contact my local council?

Phill :( :(

simonwatson

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 08:52 »

And when the butt's empty? It won't take long using a pump!

Yes, you're right about that. I've got 3 butts linked together for 600 litres capacity and that's enough water to my veg patch in the garden for about two weeks without some rain. I worked out I could run the pump for about an hour and it would be empty. It does save on lots of trips to fill the watering can though.

fatcat1955

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:18 »
Regarding the water pumps and butts, if you are on private land you would not be allowed to fill the butts from the mains water via a hose pipe. So when the butts are empty you would need to fill them with a watering can, so you would still be doing the same amount of work.  As regards to golf clubs watering the greens, i understand that if they are private clubs they are covered by the ban, unless they have their own supply of water.

simonwatson

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 09:41 »
Regarding the water pumps and butts, if you are on private land you would not be allowed to fill the butts from the mains water via a hose pipe. So when the butts are empty you would need to fill them with a watering can, so you would still be doing the same amount of work.  As regards to golf clubs watering the greens, i understand that if they are private clubs they are covered by the ban, unless they have their own supply of water.

You're right, once they're empty, they're empty. The hope is that the large capacity will last between the dry spells.

Dominic

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 09:47 »
You could always ring the water company and ask them?
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 10:29 »
I hope that this is not too controversial but if there is a hosepipe ban shouldn't we stop trying to find a way out of getting round the ban?  We have taps at our allotment but we are never allowed to use hosepipes as it does waste a lot of water that is metered and costly.  Watering cans are OK and most plants (except starting off seeds) don't need lots of water.  Despite the lack of recent rain an occasional watering with the can should be sufficient.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 10:47 »
I hope that this is not too controversial but if there is a hosepipe ban shouldn't we stop trying to find a way out of getting round the ban?  We have taps at our allotment but we are never allowed to use hosepipes as it does waste a lot of water that is metered and costly.  Watering cans are OK and most plants (except starting off seeds) don't need lots of water.  Despite the lack of recent rain an occasional watering with the can should be sufficient.
Agree with you 100% I hate seeing hosepipes used, its my pet hate. I go mad at our rep when I see people hosepiping their veg 2 days after a full day of rain and you can clearly see the ground is not dry. Apart form the waste of water there is the cost of water, I don't like paying for someone else's water  >:(
I hope this ban goes on for a few months, just to miff the hosepipe peeps off.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
hose pipe ban?

Started by marcofez on Grow Your Own

155 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 04:07
by Auntiemogs
xx
Hose pipe ban help

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 13:46
by Goosegirl
xx
hose pipe ban

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 22:08
by Ice
xx
Nemaslug - when to apply?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 00:07
by george007

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 36 queries.