Watering flattens my carrot seedlings (Photos)

• 2 Replies

Zippy

Watering flattens my carrot seedlings (Photos)
« on: July 06, 2010, 20:57 »
I am growing carrots (Early Nantes) in containers of compost and 255 sharp sand.  I sow and water and then coer with a fleece top until germination and this works really well.

That is until it is time to water the seedlings as even with a fine rose the water flattens the seedlings and they never recover to the vertical. If left out in even alight rain, this flattens some seedlings to the point they die off - a kind of natural thinning, but I lose too many. See photo "carrot flat".

To get round this do I use a narrow nosed watering can like the indoor ones and water around the seedlings and not weight the leaves down.

The other question, probably to do with this is - look at the picture "carrot stem" - is that single brownish stem (shown up by the fleece behind) below the green ferny leaves suppsed to be there or have I sowed too shallow and thsi should be below the soil surface? matybe this is why my carrot seedlings are so unstable?

Your comments please...
carrot stem.jpg
carrot flat.jpg

zazen999

Re: Watering flattens my carrot seedlings (Photos)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 21:07 »
Put the container on a tray and water into that and let the compost suck the water up.

Put a cane in the middle, and drape the fleece/netting over the pot and leave it on there until the leaves are a good enough size not to need protection; or until they are harvested if you are prone to carrot fly.

Zippy

Re: Watering flattens my carrot seedlings (Photos)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 22:10 »
Thank you zazen - both obvious solutions that I am aware of - so obvious I didn't see them!

xx
Watering seedlings

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 09:23
by strangerachael
xx
watering seedlings

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 20:47
by mashbintater
xx
Watering Squash Seedlings

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 22:23
by Kristen
xx
Watering onion seedlings

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 18:20
by Kristen

Page created in 0.765 seconds with 34 queries.