New birds - old ones not happy

• 6 Replies

Nikki

« on: June 25, 2007, 20:14 »
I rescue battery hens and have just attained another 7.  We have 3 old ones who don't want to let the newbies into the henhouse at night.  Do I leave them to 'peck it out' or is there another way?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 20:21 »
Usually you have to introduce them over a week or so by keeping them in site of each other, but not together. Chicken intro's are supposed to be tricky as they will need to sort out pecking orders etc.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Nikki

This is the first time it has happened
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 21:38 »
I have had chicks integrated before and they have been fine.  Its just these ones. I think that it is because before I have only introduced  2 or 3 at once and not 7! Maybe they feel threatened by the newbies.  Although they have all gone in tonight ok.  Phew and thanks for your input.

Quote from: "richyrich7"
Usually you have to introduce them over a week or so by keeping them in site of each other, but not together. Chicken intro's are supposed to be tricky as they will need to sort out pecking orders etc.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :D

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 21:38 »
PUT THEM IN COOP TOGETHER AT NIGHT.  THEY WILL WAKE UP TOGETHER AND HOPEFULLY FORGET (WITH SHORT TERM MEMORY) THE OTHERS WERE NEVER THERE.  OF COURSE, THEY WILL PECK EACH OTHER A BIT, BUT IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH SPACE THEY CAN RUN AWAY WHEN THIS HAPPENS.  THEY SOON SORT IT OUT.  IF NOT MUCH SPACE, AS RICHIE MENTIONS, PUT MESH BETWEEN THEM FOR A WEEK OR SO, THEN TAKE IT OUT.  ALL THIS IS BASED ON WHAT I HAVE DONE WITH MY OWN FLOCK.  GOOD LUCK.

Nikki

They seem ok now
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 21:51 »
They have all gone in tonight no problem.  I think that 'big girl' has sorted the problem. Do you find they are affectionate?  I have one that insists on a cuddle before bed! Weird I know but it seems to work.

Quote from: "MontyTom"
PUT THEM IN COOP TOGETHER AT NIGHT.  THEY WILL WAKE UP TOGETHER AND HOPEFULLY FORGET (WITH SHORT TERM MEMORY) THE OTHERS WERE NEVER THERE.  OF COURSE, THEY WILL PECK EACH OTHER A BIT, BUT IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH SPACE THEY CAN RUN AWAY WHEN THIS HAPPENS.  THEY SOON SORT IT OUT.  IF NOT MUCH SPACE, AS RICHIE MENTIONS, PUT MESH BETWEEN THEM FOR A WEEK OR SO, THEN TAKE IT OUT.  ALL THIS IS BASED ON WHAT I HAVE DONE WITH MY OWN FLOCK.  GOOD LUCK.

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 22:00 »
no, just food mad. some let me handle them more than others but it aint 'love', trust me!  enjoy them.

Nikki

Dont you just love 'em
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 23:11 »
Big bird is obviously the leader and she's the one that jumps on me all the time. I don't think its food, I think its another part of the pecking order.  Do you keep them for food or enjoyment.  For me they are the equivalent of a comic act.  I just love them.  

Quote from: "MontyTom"
no, just food mad. some let me handle them more than others but it aint 'love', trust me!  enjoy them.

xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
New birds

Started by Des C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 10:52
by sorrel
xx
Odd Birds.

Started by min200 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 08:46
by beulah59
xx
handling birds

Started by redreet on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 11:13
by redreet

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.