Picking courgette flowers

• 4 Replies

matt80

Picking courgette flowers
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:39 »
Hi all,

I'd like to use courgette flowers for cooking this year. I know the difference between the male and female flowers, but I'm not sure when it is OK to pick them. Presumably if I pick too many make flowers then the plant may not pollinate too well. Once there is a baby courgette behind the female flowers, is it OK to pick the flower off?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Picking courgette flowers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 13:42 »
If you want to eat courgette flowers and grow courgettes to eat you should hand-pollinate (use an artist's paintbrush) the female flowers first, then you would be safe to take the male flowers off.

You can't really harvest the female flowers because by the time the baby courgette is pollinated the flower is pretty much done for!

(Of course, s*ds law states that the next flower to open will be another female!)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 14:08 »
In Italy they pick the flower complete with baby courgette attached.............up to you whether you love the flowers more than a fullsized courgette  :unsure:

I tend to pick them like this later in the year when there are plenty to go around :)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 14:28 »
In Italy they pick the flower complete with baby courgette attached.............up to you whether you love the flowers more than a fullsized courgette  :unsure:

I tend to pick them like this later in the year when there are plenty to go around :)

I have a glut already, found one courgette this morning that I missed 2 days ago and it's the size of a cucumber!!! We are picking them small while the flower is still curled up and cooking them whole, flower and all. Yum  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 15:36 »
If I recall rightly, Seeds of Italy sells seeds for courgette plants that only produces flowers, no fruit. This might suit you if you want a steady supply of flowers.

xx
Courgette flowers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2022, 13:41
by Grubbypaws
xx
Courgette / flowers

Started by davesellars on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 05:16
by DD.
xx
courgette flowers

Started by cliff on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 22:13
by viettaclark
xx
Courgette flowers

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 22:09
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 38 queries.