Companion Planting

• 8 Replies

sueanthony

Companion Planting
« on: July 05, 2010, 22:57 »
Trying an experiment ;).  Pottering about on Saturday in my garden.  I have a patio table still full of stuff to go in at the lotty.  I thought I might try a few in pots :wub:.  I have put one Tuscan Black Kale in a large pot and put 4 small purple basil plants around it.  I then put a Calabrese in another pot and put a couple of small mustard plants and again a couple of purple basil plants around it.  I have also potted up an Aubergine in a large put with again some basil plants around it.  It will be interesting to see how they get on.  The rest are going in the ground traditionally at the lotty once I get the ground prepared and netting sorted.  Can't do any harm to try ???

solway cropper

Re: Companion Planting
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 23:11 »
I've tried block planting on part of the plot this year. Onions next to carrots with marigolds dotted around and so far no problems with pests at all. I also put some pot-grown basil among the cabbage and, touch wood, no nasties there either. Like you I'm curious to see if it makes much difference.

sueanthony

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 23:14 »
I've tried block planting on part of the plot this year. Onions next to carrots with marigolds dotted around and so far no problems with pests at all. I also put some pot-grown basil among the cabbage and, touch wood, no nasties there either. Like you I'm curious to see if it makes much difference.
Well I also put my red onions next to my carrots and the carrots seem to have escaped any nasties.  I think the idea of companion planting makes perfect sense and it a much kinder way of dealing with any pest control.  Fingers crossed X

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 00:12 »
I'm sorry to say that I've tried this in the past without any luck  :( So I've invested in netting ;)

I hope your luck holds for the rest of the season .................

sueanthony

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 19:54 »
I'm sorry to say that I've tried this in the past without any luck  :( So I've invested in netting ;)

I hope your luck holds for the rest of the season .................
Well I suppose at least it is at my back door in a pot so any nasties I should know about before they do too much damage.  Fingers crossed :unsure:

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 23:26 »
I have been planting lots of 'families' together!

Have a big green trug container (about 18 inches across) which currently has a red kale in the middle, then like a clock face around it 4 garlic, 4 chard and then a bit closer it some cut and some lettuce,and all have done well, am feeding weekly and eating frequently!

Have a Fig tree which has a couple of Pak choi and some basil in with it- it happier this year than it ever has been.

Another big green trug has leek, dwarf french beans and pak choi in- the pak choi are just being swamped and are being stir fried this weekend!

Have mixed things in most big pots as it looks prettier- and most of my veg has to fulfil the looks and tastes good requirement- as an excuse for why I have very few flowers- dont need them as veg looks great!

Plus helps maximise the productivity- did mix well rotten manure in with the compost, and will add more manure later in the year!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:53 »
Blimey Mobilekat, your trugs must be big. :lol: Puts mine to shame ::)

mobilekat

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:37 »
They are quite full now, but no space for weeds!- kept fed and watered they do well (plus dont blow over in the wind! :)

sueanthony

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 17:21 »
I have been planting lots of 'families' together!

Have a big green trug container (about 18 inches across) which currently has a red kale in the middle, then like a clock face around it 4 garlic, 4 chard and then a bit closer it some cut and some lettuce,and all have done well, am feeding weekly and eating frequently!

Have a Fig tree which has a couple of Pak choi and some basil in with it- it happier this year than it ever has been.

Another big green trug has leek, dwarf french beans and pak choi in- the pak choi are just being swamped and are being stir fried this weekend!Sounds just like my kind of planting.  It has to look pretty too! 

Have mixed things in most big pots as it looks prettier- and most of my veg has to fulfil the looks and tastes good requirement- as an excuse for why I have very few flowers- dont need them as veg looks great!

Plus helps maximise the productivity- did mix well rotten manure in with the compost, and will add more manure later in the year!

xx
companion planting

Started by sweetpea84 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 23:58
by mrsbean
xx
Companion planting

Started by Redwellies on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2007, 13:07
by Redwellies
xx
Companion planting!

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2018, 09:01
by sunshineband
xx
companion planting

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 22:19
by Flump

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 38 queries.