do you tie the leaves up round cauliflowers?

• 2 Replies

trimmy g

do you tie the leaves up round cauliflowers?
« on: July 05, 2010, 17:23 »
Hi All

Just been down the allotment and amazed but thrilled to see some cauliflower heads forming, they are All the Year Round variety and are looking pretty good, about the size of a small fist now and nice and white and just a couple looking like they have been nibbled.

So what is the law on tying up the leaves around them, I seem to remember being told that was what you should do to protect the developing head.   Anything else we should be doing apart from feeding and watering and is there anything to look out that is likely to go wrong at this stage?

Thanks

plum crumble

Re: do you tie the leaves up round cauliflowers?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 17:55 »
 ::) Hah! I know' it's delightful! i also have fist-sized curds appearing - I was scrabbling around inside my debris netting tunnels amongst the brassicas, and squealed with delight when I found them on Sunday. OH thought I was bonkers. I am!! :lol:

I bend the leaves over and tie them loosely so no direct sun can hit the curds. This is why you cover the curd. Water when needed, make sure they are in firm soil - as with all brassicas, they suffer if the soil is loose around their feet as it rips their fine roots, thus damaging them. Net of course to keep off pigeons and cabbage white. Debris netting will keep off whitefly too. ENJOY!! ::)
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: do you tie the leaves up round cauliflowers?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 17:59 »
You can snap one across the curd or as Aunt Sally does, clothes peg a couple together to cover it.

The one thing not to do is to be tempted to leave them too long. If you can see the curd, it won't grow an awful lot more. Keep a close eye on them and have them off before they blow.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
All year round cauliflowers

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 16:00
by arugula
xx
My cauliflowers' leaves looked blanched

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2015, 17:49
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Cauliflowers & Cabbages leaves turning white and whithering in raised bed

Started by yandoo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 13:25
by Aunt Sally
xx
Salad leaves all year round - recommendations?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 14, 2006, 15:41
by Heather_S

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 36 queries.