Preparing for next season

• 15 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« on: June 25, 2007, 15:35 »
Hello fellow gardeners.

Well, I've been pondering about what to do with my garden, seeing as my sweetcorn seem to be failing. I wanted to grow peas and pumpkins on that bed as well, but I feel I need to re-evaluate, especially with the constant rain stopping me from really giving gardening a go as I'd like to. I started late (got allotment late May), and I'm really keen to get things going. Cabbages are still going, tamatoes seem okay though still no fruit buy flowering. Salad leaves are okay. Onions seem to have been washed off, will wait and see.

Is it too late for peas? I've 2nd earlies from T&M.... I've also got a few pumpkin seeds. Can I put these in now, or is it too late?

I'd love to get potatoes and carrots and winter brassicas (courliflowers, brocolli, brussels sprouts) going for Christmas if possible. What else can I put in in the next few weeks, and what prep do I need to do on the land? I realise I'm asking a million plus questions, so won't be offended if directed to a good link, lol!
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

milkman

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 16:44 »
Calm down dear, there's always next year!

My advice - keep things simple - forget the new potatoes for Christmas idea - even seasoned growers find this difficult and I've never bothered myself.  

You are really too late to start pumpkins and brussels sprouts, but there's no harm in trying a direct sowing of peas.  

Re the cauliflower and brocolli - don't sow direct - acquire or make some smallish pots or cells, sow 2 to 4 seeds in each in multipurpose compost, thin to the strongest seedling when you can count 4 leaves, then grow them on in the cells until they are a good sturdy size before planting out nice and deep.

Sowing carrots is a good idea - draw out a v-shaped drill, fill it with multi-purpose compost, damp it down with a sprinkling of water, sow the carrots on top, cover with a very thin layer of dry compost then if poss keep them dry until they are well and truly through - they take about 10 days to germinate.

How about sowing some spinach beet and swiss chard? - this would give you a reliable green leafy crop well into the autumn, and sowing runner beans now would give you a late summer crop.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

jacnal

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 23:12 »
Thanks milkman. I'll regroup and start again!

Going by your little list, I can still get quite a few things going. Thanks, I'll start tomorrow! Thank goodness I hadn't done anything with the broccoli and caurliflowers yet. Had it not been raining I'd have planted straight into the ground! I'll also give kale a go.

Ps: I thought potatoes would be easy. My 4 year old step son planted some a few weeks ago with my husband and they seem to be thriving inspite of the fact they've minimal, correction, zero input! If they're tricky I'll leave till next year.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 23:22 »
Not tricky growing potatoes for Christmas.  but depending on weather etc, can be a bit hit and miss.  I've tried it twice now.

2 years ago, I planted a potato in each of 6 pots.  3 got caught by frost, even though they were in the greenhouse, but I did get potatoes from the other three pots, but I planted late, so didn't get them until New Years Day.  Were nice though!  Then this last year, I planted earlier (end of August), but they got destoryed with the high winds which ripped the glass out of my greenhouses and cut the potatoes to shreds!!!  I also grew some carrots last year in a big plastic box inside the polytunnel and we had them at Christmas too!

jacnal

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 23:31 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Not tricky growing potatoes for Christmas.  but depending on weather etc, can be a bit hit and miss.  I've tried it twice now.

2 years ago, I planted a potato in each of 6 pots.  3 got caught by frost, even though they were in the greenhouse, but I did get potatoes from the other three pots, but I planted late, so didn't get them until New Years Day.  Were nice though!  Then this last year, I planted earlier (end of August), but they got destoryed with the high winds which ripped the glass out of my greenhouses and cut the potatoes to shreds!!!  I also grew some carrots last year in a big plastic box inside the polytunnel and we had them at Christmas too!

Hey Grannie,

August? Wow! I might just give them a go after all. I'm attracted to potato growbags. Think I'll give them a go. What *brand* of potatoes did you grow?

Boy, so much to learn!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 23:39 »
Im thinking the same thing jac  :wink:

one really daft question..can I chit my own pots I get from Asda? coz I have never seen any for sale anywhere
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

jacnal

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 11:27 »
Quote from: "peapod"
Im thinking the same thing jac  :wink:

one really daft question..can I chit my own pots I get from Asda? coz I have never seen any for sale anywhere

Hey Peapod,

I don't know anything about seed potatoes or chitting apart from what I've learnt in passing over the last few weeks here. I think the potential problem with any bought for eating potatoes is related to disease and its resistance, hence it's a better idea to buy those meant for planting etc. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong or give more info - sorry!

We've till late July/August to get all information, so here's hoping!

I'm so very attracted to buying these bags from this website I buy from occassionally : http://www.naturalcollection.com/natural-products/Discover-No-dig-Potatoes.aspx
I wonder though if I could get the planters elsewhere cheaper? Though as they can be reused and reused, I feel they'll be worth it eventually? Any ideas out there?

Oh, and what floury variety of potatoes is best to plant in the coming few weeks? Where do I buy seed from? I recall seeing a post here (I think) of potato varieties and whether waxy, floury or in between.......... :?:

Please bear with me and my many questions all over the forum  :wink:  :lol:

brucesgirl

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 11:36 »
I have successfully grown potatoes in deep pots, and saw Carole Klein on Gardeners World growing them in old compost bags. She just rolled the bags a little higher each time she earthed up.
They reckon you do need to chit potatoes for growing in a bag, but it is not necessary for growing in the ground.
Any deep container will do.

jacnal

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 12:37 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
I have successfully grown potatoes in deep pots, and saw Carole Klein on Gardeners World growing them in old compost bags. She just rolled the bags a little higher each time she earthed up.
They reckon you do need to chit potatoes for growing in a bag, but it is not necessary for growing in the ground.
Any deep container will do.

I'll grow in bags this first time. Hopefully it's pretty easy and also saves space for other crops, I think. I've fallen in love with those potato planters, and will be scouring the net for a better price.....

Actually, now you mention Carole Klein, I'll pop over to the RHS site look for ideas  :wink: . Thanks!

paintedlady

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 15:40 »
I have to confess I have never tried growing vegetables for Christmas, but I have grown potatoes from supermarket shelves ..

(SHOCK, HORROR, DISMAY from the seasoned masses of gardeners)

as long as you grow them in pots or growbags and NOT in the garden or allotment intended for future potatoes, as you will probably get all those nasty diseases that you hear about!  I'll certainly give the Christmas veggies a try myself.  My best wishes jacnal.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Annie

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 22:46 »
You can also grow purple sprouting broccolli,french beans in trays inside to plant out,late turnips,peas,carrots,spinach,chard,pak choi can all still be grown direct.If you can find baby plants then you could try leeks.there are also winter crops to sow inlatr july/august and leave a little space for garlic.My problem is finding space this time of year!

Also talk to friends with herbs as now is a good time to start taking cuttings and later to divide clumps ie chives.

I don`t bother withthe potatoes as we always grow pink fir which store well into spring and keep that waxy salad potato taste.

jack russell

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 23:25 »
i would like to know if when you grow potatoes in a used compost bag what  mixture of soil/ multi purpose compost etc. or is it neat soil or neat multi purpose compost :?

and also how many peeps use supermarket spuds instead of the seed ones  :wink:

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

brucesgirl

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 08:52 »
I just used a cheap multi- purpose compost, then when I pulled the tats up I poured the used compost into the compost bin and mixed it all in to the rest of the muck in there.

jacnal

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 17:52 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
My best wishes jacnal.

Thanks Painted lady!

I got the planters last night  :wink: Didn't take long, huh?. I'm definitely giving potatoes a go!

All the best for you too with your veggies for Christmas!

jacnal

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 18:10 »
Quote from: "Annie"
You can also grow purple sprouting broccolli,french beans in trays inside to plant out,late turnips,peas,carrots,spinach,chard,pak choi can all still be grown direct.If you can find baby plants then you could try leeks.there are also winter crops to sow inlatr july/august and leave a little space for garlic.My problem is finding space this time of year!

Also talk to friends with herbs as now is a good time to start taking cuttings and later to divide clumps ie chives.

I don`t bother withthe potatoes as we always grow pink fir which store well into spring and keep that waxy salad potato taste.

Annie, I've put down a list of all you've suggested! I'd definitely love spinach, chard and pak choi. I'm yet to even taste a turnip  :oops: , so I'll give that a miss for now as I don't know whether I like it or not, but probably will do (I tend to take well to all things vegetable - apart from rhubarb which I should give a 2nd chance, really. Got 2 plants on the plot)

My allotment friend and neighbour Gilbert's offered me leeks - need to prepare ground for them. I've sown into pots some brocolli (green and purple sprouting). Garlic, chives and other herbs would definitely be welcome in my plot, but I'll have to buy them as none of my friends do gardening  :( - unless allotment peepe offer me their surplus  :wink: .

xx
Preparing a new weed infested plot - now or next season

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 22:43
by gavinjconway
xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
Preparing soil

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 11:40
by peapod
xx
Preparing for the future

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 08:49
by Offwego

Page created in 2.048 seconds with 37 queries.