strawberries

• 8 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
strawberries
« on: July 04, 2010, 16:08 »
Hi All

My strawberries Cambridge Favourite (6) and Irresistable (12) are all new this year, Cambridge Favourite have been in since March and sent a fair few runners already Irresistible in since May is it normal not to get at least 1 strawberry I've had absolutely nothing - my plot neighbour said if they were his he'd dig them up - I didnt expect much but I did hope for a couple - concerned over next years crop now two years without strawberries will not be funny!

Cheers
Missy

Spana

Re: strawberries
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 16:15 »
I think they'll be just as they should be next year, but i'd cut the runners off.  Next year will come round so fast and you'll have some really good plants with i hope lots of fruit, but for this year find a PYO. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 16:32 »
You're asking a lot of year 1 plants, in fact the usual recommendation is that you do not let them fruit. I assume the Irresistible came bare rooted from somewhere like T & M.

I only had a few last year, many more this and looking forward to even more next year. DO NOT get rid of your Irresistible, you will never know what you are missing and if you ever get to taste one, you'll regret that yours are no more!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 16:54 »
Loads of strawberries on mine and the mice ate the lot just as they came ripe the little critters. They cart them off all over the garden. Then the ones I protected a Blackbird attacked them through the net.  >:(

Second year will give you better results I am sure.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 17:01 »
. DO NOT get rid of your Irresistible,

DD, do you mean dont cut the runners off :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 17:07 »
Mostly you'd cut off any flowers so the plant doesn't tax itself to produce mediocre fruit in its first year. Some folk also cut off the runners - it's mostly a matter of personal preference. I let the runners grow as I expect more plants.

It's really the 2nd and 3rd year that the fruit comes and after that it's progressively downhill for the plant, hence the runners.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 17:27 »

I think DD means don't get rid of your plants - irresistable really are lovely tasting strawbs!

My plants are in their 3rd summer. I have taken all the runners off previously so that the plants concentrated on the fruit but this year I will allow the runners to root so that I can start a new strawberry bed elsewhere on the plot next year.

I'll give the plants I have now 1 more summer and then dig them up.

Don't give up on your fruit - I bet they surprise you with lots of fruit next year. :)
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 17:46 »
Thanks everyone - I do value the advise my neighbour gives me, whilst he never says do this or do that he just says  "well I would do this" - thanks for giving me a second opinion looking forward to next year - I have removed some runners today from the Cambridge as the runners were sending out runners.

DD - My irresistible came "eventually" from T&M on your recommendation here :D

Thanks again
Missy

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 17:52 »

I think DD means don't get rid of your plants - irresistable really are lovely tasting strawbs!

That's correct, Snappy. That's what Missy's neighbour said he'd do in her place.

xx
Strawberries

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 00:54
by sclarke624
xx
strawberries

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2021, 09:57
by mumofstig
xx
strawberries

Started by bert on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 12:51
by yummy
xx
Strawberries.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2014, 22:02
by heygrow

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 36 queries.