Sweetcorn Trouble!

• 27 Replies

rizzla_lite

Sweetcorn Trouble!
« on: July 04, 2010, 14:23 »
Hi - I hope there is a sweetcorn expert here, I am sure there is. I sowed my Earigold Sweetcorm a little early this year in April indoors in individual cells under a (blue spectrum) light tube, the seeds germinated well and grow to 3-4 inches under the light by the start of May. The plants were moved onto biodegradible pots into a well heated greenhouse, min temp 12c at night. The  weather in Kent was very untypicle in May and so I didnt plant them out until late May. They have grown to about 18 inches now and many have their first cobs and some two cobs which I think is unexpected. Some have now started to grow flower heads on top. Only my second year for sweetcorn so is this typical or are they gonnas! I have watered well and put a layer of growmore on top. The soil was very well manuared last Autumn in preparation. Is it time to rip them up and buy some plugs (which would be disappointing of course). Hoped to have a pic or two but technology has let me down!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn Trouble!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 14:27 »
They sound exactly like mine....and I'm not worried  :lol:

Roll on harvest time ;)

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 14:33 »
And mine.  Just starting to see the male flowers coming up.  Yum Yum.  Can't wait.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 15:14 »
And mine too! Male flowers there and lovely silky tassels waiting!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 15:15 »
Silky tassels???

There's tassels and there's silks! :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 16:16 »
Mine also :)
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

diggerjoe

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 17:23 »
Bit late with mine still only foot high but good sturdy plants had a few spares I put out in the week I have a feeeling I was way too late this year.

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 20:38 »
Hi - I hope there is a sweetcorn expert here, I am sure there is. I sowed my Earigold Sweetcorm a little early this year in April indoors in individual cells under a (blue spectrum) light tube, the seeds germinated well and grow to 3-4 inches under the light by the start of May. The plants were moved onto biodegradible pots into a well heated greenhouse, min temp 12c at night. The  weather in Kent was very untypicle in May and so I didnt plant them out until late May. They have grown to about 18 inches now and many have their first cobs and some two cobs which I think is unexpected. Some have now started to grow flower heads on top. Only my second year for sweetcorn so is this typical or are they gonnas! I have watered well and put a layer of growmore on top. The soil was very well manuared last Autumn in preparation. Is it time to rip them up and buy some plugs (which would be disappointing of course). Hoped to have a pic or two but technology has let me down!

So the problem is that they have grown the flowers and cobs far too short?

Could be the variety [have you checked heights] or did you plant them with the biodegradable pots still intact? This could have held the roots back.

rizzla_lite

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 20:50 »
Yes the height (18") is my concern. I ripped the biodegradible pots down one side when planting them to help the roots escape. I have 30 "incredible" sweetcorn plants at the other end of the plot which are 24" high with no cobs, tassles or flowers. It could be the variety of course, I seem to have lost the seed packet and a search of the web doesnt help. If others here seem to be reporting that theirs are in a similar state then I will stop worrying! :D

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 21:08 »
http://www.seedaholic.com/sweet-corn-earligold-f1.html

Not small plants by the looks of it.....

rizzla_lite

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 21:55 »
Thanks for the link. So they grow from 30 to 65in - at the lower end that is quite short. So at 18" they may have a chance I guess - more watering and feeding I reckon. There is always hope....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 21:58 »
A lot of the height comes from the wafty bits (technical term for the male flowers  ;) ) at the top, remember  8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 22:02 »
A lot of the height comes from the wafty bits (technical term for the male flowers  ;) ) at the top, remember  8)

Love that technical term for the male bits  :lol: :lol: :lol:

My plants are 2 ft high and no sign of any flowers of any gender so far... time yet though  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rizzla_lite

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 22:03 »
Thats so true, 4-6 inches I reckon currently. Boasting again :D - thanks for your help.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 22:07 »
My sweetcorn is nearly 2 foot tall but I can see some 'wafty' bits appearing at the top already :ohmy:

They're no where near big enough to start growing cobs yet.

I don't think they will come to much this year :(
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

xx
Sweetcorn trouble

Started by madra rua on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 20:16
by madra rua
xx
Pea trouble

Started by Jake on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 16:04
by Jake
xx
Trouble with rats

Started by Noslugshere40! on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2024, 08:54
by Goosegirl
xx
Compost bin trouble..

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 22:49
by Dandelion

Page created in 0.831 seconds with 39 queries.