Have I forgotten anything? (Getting Chickens this week!)

• 3 Replies

Scrumptious

• Scrumptious Preserves
Hello,

I'm SO excited! We are hoping to get 4 Hens this week.  I have a few unanswered questions and since this seems to be the place to find answers I thought that I would trust the experts!!

I have got my House coming tomorrow, a water thing, a food thing, Layer Pellets, Corn stuff, Oyster stuff, grit stuff, wood chippings, Straw (not hay as advised by the chicken man), some powder stuff for lice etc. (although not sure what i do with it!?), a shovel for pooh, and a couple of buckets for transporting it to the allotment.

We have 4 names... (Mrs Johnson, Aunty Mabel, Pippin and Matilda) and from the reading that i have done I think I know roughly what to do.  I plan to let them out in the garden when i am at home and put them away when I go out... is this best? will they pooh anywhere or just in their house and if they do pooh in the garden is it easy to clear up?

So in their nest boxes i put the straw and the wood shavings in the living room? do i put newspaper underneith it to make it easier to clean? we haven't got a house with a pull out floor.  When i clean it out do i just sweep the floor or is there some disinfecting required... the lady in the supplies shop didn't give me a definitive answer!

How high can they can jump or fly with clipped wings?

We are getting Point of Lay Warrens... when can i expect to start getting eggs? ( i need to tell my daughter as she is really excited but want to manage her expectations!)

I read that i suspend the food off the ground to prevent pests... how far off the ground? I am planning on bringing the food in at night when i tuck them up... do i put the water in their bed rooms?

I didn't buy the chicken drink from the shop, i've not read about it... should i have?

Sorry to sound like a complete novice but the books don't say it straight!

Really appreciate any help or advice you can offer me..... thanks!

Sarah

norsewood

• No need for torches!
Re: Have I forgotten anything? (Getting Chickens this week!)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 13:15 »
I'll be watching this post with interest - as I'm EGGzactly like you but have another week to go! Good questions!
Good luck  :wacko:
The light at the end of the tunnel isn't always the oncoming train.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 13:31 »
I'll move this over to the Hen House, where more people who are able to help will read it
 :)

Scrumptious

• Scrumptious Preserves
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 14:15 »
Thanks for moving it... in the mean time i found the hen house section and posted it there too... can't seem to be able to delete one posting... any ideas?

xx
My first egg and the first week of chickens

Started by FCG on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 18:04
by Porffor
xx
My first egg and the first week of chickens- dupe

Started by FCG on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 10:54
by compostqueen
question
Have I forgotten anything??

Started by Diggit on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 22:11
by Pertelotte
smiley
Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 23:16
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 37 queries.