mixed feelings........need encouragement!

• 24 Replies

Gwiz

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 05:58 »
they taste quite nice, the woodies i mean. well i suppose they would would`nt they, full to the brim with cabbages. :roll:

mrsparsnip

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 09:17 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
they taste quite nice, the woodies i mean. well i suppose they would would`nt they, full to the brim with cabbages. :roll:

I ate pigeon once, didn't like it.  too tough to chew!  what I want to know is, why do they always look so shifty!?
'what ever I am, where ever I am, this is me' - Hannah Hauxwell

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 09:35 »
Quote from: "shaun"
my jack russel (tess) has caught a few but this time of year there are loads of them ,bring on september when the shooting season starts or is it october

Quite amazed that your dog catches snails! No need to shoot them though, just pick them off and stomp on them :)
(John being obtuse on purpose)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 11:10 »
Quote from: "mrsparsnip"
Quote from: "gwiz"

I ate pigeon once, didn't like it.  too tough to chew!  what I want to know is, why do they always look so shifty!?

Yeah I'm not keen on pigeon. The only edible way IMO is the breasts in a kind of mixed game pie, and then all the flovours mingle. I suppose you could make a game stock out of the carcasses but its a lot of bother.

And i suppose they do look funny.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

andy_jacko

• http://www.comebrowse.net
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 12:31 »
I know how you feel, we got 2 allotments side by side in June and they were totally full of nettles, weeds, thistles, brambles. We cleared about a 12x 25ft section by hand and got some beans and tomatoes in and the cucumbers are doing ok. Yesterday on our day off we hired a bush cutter trimmer and worked 6 hours clearing and clearing the rubbish we only did one and a half allotments as the moter burnt out  :oops: so we have to finish it by hand over the next few weeks :(  Very hard work and tiring but well worth it. Good luck with yours
curioser and curioser

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 13:34 »
Bet you were popular at the hire shop :)
Did you ask for a refund?

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
New Plot
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 22:28 »
Hi,
We got our plot this time last year and it was a mess!!!!!

Black plastic and weed killer were used to the extreme.  As stuff died we hired a weed burning/flame thrower and this worked very well.  Not only did it kill the tops, but also burned the seeds.

This year, the plot everyone had as a weed-fest is Covent Garden in the making.  Everyone comments as they walk past how well we have tamed the plot.

It has been extremely hardwork to get where we have - make no mistake.  But eating freshly picked produce is second to nothing on this earth. Broadbean, runners bean, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, radish, Spring Onion, Courgette have been picked and relished this year so far.

The graft is worth it.  We have had a few failures this year, but all in all it has been great.  Even with a watering ban we are still doing Okay.  A water Butt is essential if you live in the South East - but wherever you live patience and listening to the locals are the best advice I can offer.

If at first you don't succeed - there is always next year.  Learn from your mistakes, keep records and best of all enjoy being outside.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

stompy

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 22:47 »
You hit the nail on the head, learn from your mistakes. :D  

If you don't you will quickly become disheartened an give up.

Call on a friend or two and ask what they think you could do.  :idea:

Even if they are not gardeners, Espetialy if they are not gardeners, they may come up with something, some idea that you could use that as a gardener you wouldn't have thaught of.

Some thing different, something out of the ordinary, something no one else has thaught of.

You never know :idea:

mrsparsnip

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 11:17 »
thank you all for the replies.  really great encouragment!

after I have dug in some manure in the autum, what would you all say are good things to start planting with, bearing in mind i've never done this before!  I plan to build four square rasied beds, a fruti cage, and two long beds.............for now!

Oliver

Manure in the autumn
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 18:26 »
Quote from: "mrsparsnip"
after I have dug in some manure in the autum, what would you all say are good things to start planting with
Spread manure by all means (call this year one), but leave one bed free for roots - carrots, parsnips etc. They don't like to go in soil that has been freshly manured. In year 2 that bed can be manured and roots moved on to another bed which had manure in year 1, but will not have in year 2. (Rotation system going on here you understand!) :tongue2:

If you plant roots on a freshly manured bed you get molars! i.e. many pronged carrots and parsnips etc. They taste ok, but don't look much like the 'real' thing! if you know what I mean ...

Some things, like calendulas and nasturtiums make lots of leaf but not much in the way of flowers. Calendulas are very pretty: use them for companion planting near things that get aphids because they attract lots of hoverflies. Thje hoverflies lay their eggs on the calendulas and their lavae eat aphids!

You can eat the petals in a salad, or pick the flowers for the house if they are not being used as a lure.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
Forboding feelings

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2011, 14:37
by billathome65
xx
Encouragement needed...quick

Started by nitiram on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 03, 2006, 20:19
by John
clip
Mixed Up Seedlings :(

Started by Tracybutton on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 21:28
by Tracybutton
xx
Mixed Harvest

Started by Roll Roll on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 20:07
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 29 queries.