Now I've done it...

• 21 Replies

Poolfield2

Re: Now I've done it...
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 22:24 »
Microwave jam is ideal for those small quantities.

Val knows that I have wanted a jam maker for ages but I'm afraid it would end up in a cupboard. I tried the breadmaker jam in my old breadmaker but didn't get on with it but I love the idea of chutney in the slow cooker.

pigeonpie

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 15:29 »
I'm not convinced by microwaves (I still worry about the long term effects of even a small amount of radiation) but the slow cooker for chutney sounds like an idea.  It would be interesting to make the same chutney by the different ways and compare the flavours.  As Livinhope says I would imagine the slow cooker method may make the flavours more intense, although perhaps not with all chutneys.  I like my tomato chutney to be cooked as little as possible so that it keeps as much of the fresh tomato flavour as a chutney can.

Livinhope

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 21:49 »
I tried the slow cooker for my courgetter chutney.  I found that it didn't cook on high enough heat to reduce the liquid and concentrate the flavour.  It ended up back in a pan on the cooker where it stewed away nicely and is just begging to be eaten. :D  In 3 months time :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 21:47 »
Mine has three settings I have to leave it on high with the lid off slightly until some of the liquid has evapourated. Then I turn it down  as I go. It does take about 24 hours though.

Not sure about the flavour though I dont like chutney myself. I have sold it and people have comeback for more. I only like the sweet oriental or tomatoy ones myself.

I have only tried plum and green tomato chutney this way.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Livinhope

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 22:51 »
I don't like harsh or overly spicy chutneys so I used white wine vinegar and plenty of brown sugar and raisins.  I can almost taste it now at Christmas with cold meats and cheeses. ::)

Poolfield2

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 22:46 »
The plums will be ready soon, I love plum chutney!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 04:18 »
Just made some green tom found a few lurking in the freezer. Used the receipe on site smells good gave a small jar to the neighbour.

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 37 queries.