butternut

• 11 Replies

viettaclark

butternut
« on: July 02, 2010, 21:09 »
Grew these rather unsuccesfully last year (planted too late) and I pinched out the tips at about 5' last year. Produced 3 small fruits off 3 plants.
What's the general opinion about pinching out? Is it best to let them ramble at will or pinch and have bushier plants?
Does it affect the yield?

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Re: butternut
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 21:17 »
I cannot remember pinching the tip of my plant last year I had about 6 fruit of one plant I do remember I didnt let all the flowers fruit though I didnt take some off after they'd set

Not sure if this is right or wrong - worked for me last year who knows this year :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 21:27 »
I just leave them to get on with it. Ifind some shoots don't fruit until they are quite long.   
Just train them round and round in a circle if you don't like them to be unruly ::)

If they look as if they have set a real lot of fruit (you should be so lucky!) then it may be worth pinching out some of the 'babies'

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 23:12 »
Thanks Mum!

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 23:22 »
Planted some last year for the first time. They were doing great then I went on holiday. By the time I came back I had lots of tiny fruits, most impressed, although I hadn't done anything other than chuck them in then water and weed  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 01:40 »
As far as I know there are two distinct growing patterns for BNS.

Often they are bush varieties and quite compact (so not too sprawly).
Then there's the trailers that really do wander off if left their own devices.

I have grown both types for a few years now - both are easy if the weather is in your favour. Neither need pinching out... unless they really do go bananas and stop other crops growing.. mostly I aim to encourage the trailers to trail where I want them to go. Up the bean frame worked very well one year  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Zippy

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 07:40 »
My experience is the BNS is the slowest of all squashes in growth so it is good for spots where a more rampant one would take up growing space. A good tip is to plant your squashes at the corner or edge of a bed so you can train it down the path round the edge to allow other plants to grow in the bed.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 15:08 »
My experience is the BNS is the slowest of all squashes in growth so it is good for spots where a more rampant one would take up growing space. A good tip is to plant your squashes at the corner or edge of a bed so you can train it down the path round the edge to allow other plants to grow in the bed.

Good tip that!

I also put a cane or marker stake into the ground right next to the plant (courgettes / squash). That way I know where to water amongst the foliage once the whole lot fills in with leaves.  ;)

gypsy

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 15:33 »
I dig a big plant pot into the soil right next to the plant and water through this.
Catherine

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 16:01 »
I dig a big plant pot into the soil right next to the plant and water through this.

A good idea if you can find it once the plant gets growing  ;)

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 16:14 »
Mine are thugs that go everywhere so I send them to jail in a chicken wire pen and leave them to get on with it. I just put a cane where I am to water and that's it. Seems to work.
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 00:22 »
Mine are thugs that go everywhere so I send them to jail in a chicken wire pen and leave them to get on with it. I just put a cane where I am to water and that's it. Seems to work.

I like the idea of the chicken-wire enclosure - must remember that one for next year if they get out of hand this time round!  ;)

question
Butternut

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 09:35
by blackberryjam
xx
Help with Butternut

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 12:45
by Paul Plots
xx
Butternut squash

Started by debbiedoll on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 22:41
by Lemon
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by Nettles on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 16:33
by lucywil

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 30 queries.