Just have to share this.

• 24 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Just have to share this.
« on: July 02, 2010, 20:57 »
I have had several close encounters with the much loved frogs in my garden this year. One jumped on my foot the other day, it made me jump, and that made my 4 yr old laugh until she fell over.

I went out the other night when it was damp to see if i could find the slug culprits on some recently planted nemesias and i found a little frog under a leaf next to them. I told him he was welcome and i'd leave him to it.

This evening i was watering my toms in the greenhouse. I have sunken pots at the base of each plant and was giving them a real good soak because i go away on holiday on Sunday. I was waiting for the water to drain from one of the pots to re fill it, as the water slowly drained away, a little greeny brown face appeared, another little frog, much enjoying the shower, peering up at me.

Made me smile. Feel very lucky these lads are keeping an eye on my patch!
Liv.

viettaclark

Re: Just have to share this.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 20:59 »
I think the poor froglets aren't liking this heat-wave....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 21:04 »
I just had to pop out into the garden and rescue a frog that was being 'played with' by the cat from along the terrace :ohmy:
The poor thing was screaming.............he is now hibben among all the foliage in the polytunnel.........so I hope he will be ok :unsure:

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 21:11 »
Oh dear, they don't really scream, do they?

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 21:29 »
Yep frogs do squeal!!  My springer is a bit bonkers about playing with them and unfortunately he doesn't know frog for 'Get off me'. Have lost a few to him I'm afraid  :tongue2:
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 21:34 »
Some people spider, rats, snakes, me frogs.  :ohmy: I don't understand why but I am absolutely petrified of them.  I can't even watch them on television or look at a picture in a book.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 22:12 »
for me its dead frogs. love them when they are alive, terrified when they are dead! very frightened of hurting one in the garden too!! whats that all about then?!!
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 22:19 »
I watered a large unseen frog that was hiding in the tomatoes in the greenhouse,
It squealed
i jumped  :mad: :D

mobilekat

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 22:22 »
I bet the frog then giggled.... :lol:
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 22:28 »
We always have loads of toads in our garden. I've never figured this out, but a lot of years we have dozens of very small baby toads hopping around on the floor of the house. I'm not sure how this happens because I thought they always laid their eggs in water. I know they like hanging out under the gratings on the soakaway that runs around the house, so maybe they're hatching out there and finding their way into the house. They're rather cute when they're little, but I have to rescue them quickly before one of the dogs spots them.

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 22:44 »
Here's a cautionary tale - in fact, you probably don't want to hear it but here goes -

We moved into this house 20 years ago in late June and the lawn was 2 feet high. Impossible to mow so I had to cut it with shears. The long grass was shady and damp and at first I didn't realise it was home to a large number of frogs. As I clipped my way forward, I could not see them and the frogs did not move until the shears were actually closing - result was that the long stretched-out back leg was the bit that didn't get away. After the third legless frog I realised that this was going to be a persistent problem but being as careful as I could I ended up with a row of frogs each minus one back leg. After all this time I can not remember exactly what I did about it. Probably one of those psychological brain blocks.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 22:49 »
Urghh!! :(  Don't think I would have been able to go in the garden again!!

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 23:16 »
My cat used to play with the frogs and then leave me a present of their back legs. Never found out what happened to the other halves..... :( 

fatcat1955

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 11:22 »
You only normally find frogs in the crocuses (croak) Ouch!!!!!!!!!

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 11:43 »
I have been sreaming every night here ..... and not with delight either.
Everytime I go to the top of the garden to wash out the chickens feeders and drinkers and wash down the patio a frog jumps out in fornt of me amd makes me scream. I don't like them and would never touch one but I know they do a good job in the garden so leave them to it.
Walked back down to the house last night and low and behold one of them jumped out in front of me again. They seem to be taking over and must know that they startle me so jump out more  ??? ???

xx
Aha!! bug id i thought i'd share

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 18:39
by Salmo
xx
Thought I would share.

Started by BigPaddy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 21:30
by BigPaddy
xx
Willing to share some of my allotment, in stamford

Started by joie de vivre on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 05:43
by DD.
xx
Share your plot pics.

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

89 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 21:05
by strider84

Page created in 0.686 seconds with 38 queries.