Raw peas

• 25 Replies

titch

Re: Raw peas
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 07:13 »
Last year I underestimated how many to grow and so none made it home ;).  This year have grown enough to eat loads straight from the plant and (ssshhhhh, don't tell DD) enough to cook too - and wow they are amazingm
Have planted more late peas so hoping for enough to eat, cook and freeze this year
just keep breathing................

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 07:36 »
Despite saying earlier that I wasn't growing peas this year as I was way behind owing to illness and I only wanted to grow my heritage peas, which I didn't want to sow late, I succumbed yesterday and sowed 2  x 32'  rows of Kelvedon Wonder.

Fingers crossed mildew doesn't strike!!

Got the peas loose from our local independant.  Got about half a kilo of peas, for about £3, so at £1.50 for a long row, densely sown, it won't be a great disaster if they come to nought.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Spana

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 08:51 »
I've grown an extra row of peas this year just because i eat so many in the garden ::)

I also like baby courgettes with the flower still on straight off the plant and tiny beetroots and carrots i just wipe on my apron and eat while i'm weeding, they are so sweet :) and if i sit down on the path for a breather i love to cut the heart from a lettuce and sit and munch that  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 09:49 »
Despite saying earlier that I wasn't growing peas this year as I was way behind owing to illness and I only wanted to grow my heritage peas, which I didn't want to sow late, I succumbed yesterday and sowed 2  x 32'  rows of Kelvedon Wonder.

I didn't for one moment think you could resist your addiction  :lol:

bigben

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 10:01 »
My kids love them raw, I found out last week that my 5 year old had disgraced herself at school. One of the teachers had brought in some pea pods to give to everyone in the class as part of a lesson about how things grow. After finishing giving them out to everyone she planned to get them to open the pods and draw them. When she returned to my daughters table she was sat with cheeks stuffed and half the tables pods open in front of her! The shame of it! :nowink:

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 10:04 »
My kids love them raw, I found out last week that my 5 year old had disgraced herself at school. One of the teachers had brought in some pea pods to give to everyone in the class as part of a lesson about how things grow. After finishing giving them out to everyone she planned to get them to open the pods and draw them. When she returned to my daughters table she was sat with cheeks stuffed and half the tables pods open in front of her! The shame of it! :nowink:
:lol: :lol: How right she was, drawing them would have been such a waste

diggerjoe

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 10:04 »
OH always asks did you bring any peas back - I keep telling him none ready yet :nowink: I cant say yes they were in my bag when I started home from the plot but they were so nice I ate the lot and shame of it put the pods in the neighbours bin :D :D :D

Spana

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 10:33 »
I've grown an extra row of peas this year just because i eat so many in the garden ::)

I also like baby courgettes with the flower still on straight off the plant and tiny beetroots and carrots i just wipe on my apron and eat while i'm weeding, they are so sweet :) and if i sit down on the path for a breather i love to cut the heart from a lettuce and sit and munch that  ::)

Just realised i must sound like a thing from a horror movie, what with eating babies and cutting out hearts :lol: :lol: :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 10:45 »

Just realised i must sound like a thing from a horror movie, what with eating babies and cutting out hearts :lol: :lol: :lol:

One second the plants guardian and nurturer next second a veggie Hannibal Lecter. :)
Do you grow Fava beans ?
You`ve got it right tho`. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 15:45 »

Fingers crossed mildew doesn't strike!!

Got the peas loose from our local independant.  Got about half a kilo of peas, for about £3, so at £1.50 for a long row, densely sown, it won't be a great disaster if they come to nought.

3 days - and the first ones are through!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 15:48 »
Mine are about 10in tall...................... let's hope the escape the dreaded mildew  ::)
Everything is crossed  :blink:

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Peas again!

Started by snooziebunny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 15:59
by Growster...
xx
peas

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 15:33
by Trillium

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 38 queries.