courgettes soft at one end - why??

• 4 Replies

manna

courgettes soft at one end - why??
« on: June 30, 2010, 17:00 »
while I'm at it with questions, more than usual this year some of my baby courgettes are going soft at one end. is this because they were very early plants, or is it something I'm doing wrong? I've had a fair few healthy ones and am watering every 2 days.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
Re: courgettes soft at one end - why??
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 17:06 »
perhaps they have not been fertilised?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 18:25 »
If they start to swell and then rot off from the flower end they have almost certainly not been pollinated (weather's a bit dry for them to be suffering from any other kind of rot!)

I'm from the belt-and-braces brigade and go up the garden each morning with my trusty little paintbrush to hand-pollinate to make sure (in wet weather I also knock off the shrivelling flower when it is ready to do so easily to prevent rot starting from that source.)

(Others don't bother with any of the above, but I love my courgettes, and so do my friends and neighbours!)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 22:50 »
i have the same problem and was confused as we haven't had any rain to speak of to cause rot. where are all the bees?
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

manna

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 19:38 »
I think non pollination makes sense - they're not rotting, just shrivelled! I think it may be early courgettes only, as they seem to be correcting themselves. I've been nipping them off as soon as I notice, and the new ones seem fine. I never knew about getting rid of withering flowers, though, so thanks for that.

xx
Am I soft???

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 10:40
by Aidy
xx
Soft onions

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 17:51
by DD.
xx
Soft potatoes

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 23:25
by mumofstig
xx
Soft leeks

Started by pippin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 22:01
by DD.

Page created in 0.858 seconds with 37 queries.