No
13 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Who clips their hens wings?

• 19 Replies

Chicken star

Who clips their hens wings?
« on: June 29, 2010, 21:57 »
I do not personally but i was just wondering who did?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 21:25 by Ice »

8doubles

Re: Who clips there hens wings?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 22:00 »
Just the one deviant chook, the others don`t escape. :)

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 22:20 »
all of mine....always the right wing. that way i know they're mine. they jump quite high and can propell themselves quite far so i do it as a precaution. also next door has many trees they could be tempted to roost in.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 23:39 »
I gave up as it didn't seem to make any difference and they were still flying out the enclosure.  Just took them a longer run up  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:01 »
all of mine....always the right wing. that way i know they're mine. they jump quite high and can propell themselves quite far so i do it as a precaution. also next door has many trees they could be tempted to roost in.

After the chicken moults you should then clip the other wing to keep their muscles even.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:04 »
did my first ever 2 hens but then realised they would still jump onto their coup and launch themselves into the air so now I don't bother. I did clip one wing of one of my guinea fowl Brian to stop him flying over the beck and waking everybody up at 4 in the morning when he realised he couldn't get back  ::)

Pretty Chick

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:20 »
Some of ours were already clipped when we bought them. When we bought the last 2, we were asked if we wanted them clipped there and then, but we didn't think it was necessary because all the others are well behaved and don't attempt to go where they shouldn't  :).
All lives are precious.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:29 »
I've never clipped mine.  They are ex-batts so figure they have been hacked about enough in their lives. 

The only time they flap madly enough to get airborne is when they see me coming along the patio carrying a dish!

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 08:55 »
I clipped my old girls when I put the fence up as they were always jumping over.  Now they are used to being behind the fence I wont bother after the moult.

The new girls haven't known life beyond the fence and haven't tried to get over (yet!)

greenun

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:56 »
They're in the garden, up trees, only come in to go to bed.  :nowink:

evie2

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 14:54 »
My last chickens were clipped (not by me) but it didn't stop them flying into the fruit trees ::) :lol:
My new girls won't be clipped but if anyone can come up with a suggestion for my Houdini rabbit let me know :wub:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 20:43 »

After the chicken moults you should then clip the other wing to keep their muscles even.
[/quote]

thanks joyful..will do :)

NooNoosdad

Re: Who clips their hens wings?
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 11:46 »
 :) I only started keeping Hens about 6-7 weeks ago and purchased three Black Rock Hens at 15 weeks old. We live in a semi-urban area and my Hens are kept in the back garden in a Coop and have a 9' run. They get let out of the run onto our garden once or twice a day and the area is pretty secure on all sides with a high wall and fence/gate etc. but I still feared they might take flight and end up in one of our Neighbours gardens so my eldest son and I set out the task of only removing these 'finger' feathers on one wing of each bird. This seems to be sufficient to restrict any flying.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 13:13 »
When I first started I did, but now I just leave them as is. Firstly, they rarely show interest in flying out of the garden and secondly if Mr Fox comes again when they are out and about I want them to stand some chance since I know they can fly up onto the large ark and then into the trees without clipping which is what they did last time he visited (sadly the ducks were less able to escape and my lovely Erin became his dinner).

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 17:07 »
Hi Evie2, I also have a houdini rabbit!! She is a rescue rabbit so I can't vouch for her parentage, perhaps there is a houdini breed out there!!
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

xx
Cropping Hens Wings

Started by Julesanne on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 01:35
by woodburner
question
Hens keep jumping next door - ??clip wings

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 14:46
by Blarney
xx
The other beak clips?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 15:29
by grinling
xx
beak clips

Started by joyfull on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 11:30
by joyfull

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 43 queries.