Peas.... low germination

• 9 Replies

rictic

• Experienced Member
Peas.... low germination
« on: June 27, 2010, 21:45 »
Hello all

Success rate with peas has been very hit and miss for me this year, some rows have been almost 100% successful and others planted alongside from the same packet have only produced about 10% germination although both rows planted within a couple of weeks of each other.  Any ideas why?  Also, is it a good idea to soak seeds before planting.

Keep the faith.

Rictic.

kittenkirst

Re: Peas.... low germination
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 21:46 »
Hi Rictic,

I'd be interested in the answer a s I have found the same,

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 21:56 »
My first trench I did, where I sowed the peas really deep - they've all come up really strong.

Second trench done 3? weeks later, not nearly so prolific.   

I can only presume that sowing them very deep (partly to deter mice but also because the weather wasn't great) worked for me.  I was sowing Waverex.  Had first proper harvest today and they are yum. 

First time doing anything other than mangetout so it's a bit of a learning curve!

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

mobilekat

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 22:00 »
If you want brilliant germination, its easy.... Just buy cheap rubbishy dried mushy peas.... the little beggars germinate brilliantly....
Gerr........

At least they taste good! (best germination of anything I have ever grown!)
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 22:13 »
I've had the same trouble with sugarsnap germination. I rootled and found they had germinated but the shoots had been eaten. My best bet is slugs as mice/birds can't get to them.
Organic blue slug death is now in place and more peas planted to see if it helps!!!

andy135

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 22:24 »
My first row of peas I sowed a full packet (320) in a 12' row. Only abour 25% germinated.

I then put 100 onward seeds in a tupperware container on a piece of paper towel and moistened it and sealed the box. I did the same with 100 Hurst Greenshaft and put them on the top shelf of my wardrobe for three days. I got 100% germination, sowed them and all are growing away quite happily.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 07:37 »
Try putting wire mesh over it, to try and stop mice getting to them. See if it helps :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 08:28 »
Sowed my sugarsnap peas in early April, protected with netting and slug pellets and probably got around 80% germination.

Big mistake was thinking they would grow to the same height as some mangetout I grew a few years ago (I'm not big on peas!!).

To protect from pigeons I covered them with a 5' high inverted "U" netting cage, and having been away for a week I have discovered that the one or two which have managed to grow through the netting are 6' high and still growing (the others have had to be surgically cut away from the netting but are seriously snurped up!)

One day I'll get this pea-growing lark right (but not yet!)  :wacko:  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Livinhope

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:51 »
If it's of any interest the way we start our peas is straight from the packet into a trench, which has been well watered.  Sow about 3/4 inch deep, then cover with cheap corrugated plastic sheet, bent to make a cloche, at each end a sheet of glass which leaves room at the top for air to enter.  We do sprinkle a few slug pellets but mice, birds etc.............no chance.  They germinate within a few days and when they outgrow the cloche we put in the sticks and secure a sheet of plastic either side.  We have also found we need to net the top because of pigeon interest.  We have had good germination of three rows

Christine

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:27 »
Up here we start off our peas in seed trays in good compost under cover or indoors and then plant them out when the size of an average thumb.

It saves worrying about which thief has eaten them or if a sudden cold snap will do damage.

xx
Peas germination rate

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 10:33
by operabunny
xx
Germination of direct sown peas

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 11:00
by Benny130
question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 36 queries.