Lack of water

• 30 Replies

madcat

Re: Lack of water
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 16:15 »
You shouldnt use foul water, ie. from the loo, and I wouldn't use bleach or anything too caustic if it is going into the barrels.  When (if!) I clean the bathroom properly, the water will have to go down the drain but the tomatoes are thriving on water with a little added soap, toothpaste and shampoo. 

My grandmas both used to value a 'nice bit of soapy water, dear' after doing the handwashing, for brushing the back yard clean.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 16:18 »
and that was one of the reasons that front doorsteps were lovely and white  ::)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 16:25 »
We have a bit of milky cloud now in Somerset - watching the sky anxiously!  Hopefully we'll get some rain tonight in the west and north but you poor folks in the south east will have to wait a bit longer. 

kari

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 16:30 »
I've been recycling as much water as I can, the kids paddlingpool water gets decanted into 25ltr water bottles, carried to the allotment & emptied into the water butts.

I also always take the water removed from my tropical fish tanks during water changes around 100ltrs once per week, I hope this water is ok to use on the veg
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 16:46 »
Aquarium water is certainly fine for veg, and even contains small quantities of nutrients although I wouldn't go quite as far as saying it's a free liquid feed!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Humbledoor

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 20:17 »
My rain dance has worked! It's been raining here from about 4 o'clock this afternoon, lotty is benefiting from the downpour, although it will need to rain overnight to do any real good.

Hope you all get some rain soon  :)

Humble

Spana

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 22:17 »
I use to have a hose pipe up the side of the house and in through the bathroom window. We'd leave the bath water in at night and in the morning when it was cold i'd  syphon it out onto the garden. :)
One day i had the really good idea  of feeding the plants at the same time.  :unsure: So i got the big dish of juice that drips from the bottom of the wormery and tipped it into the cold bath water.  :unsure: :wub: Set the syphon running and left it to empty.  :wub: When i went back up the water had gone but the bath was full of wiggling worms that were all trying to climb the side of the bath. :wacko:
It took several days  to get over the sight before i could lay and soak again :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 22:21 »
Ewww............. :lol:

If it was a 'suck it and see' syphon it's a good job you didn't get a mouthful of worms YUK

Spana

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 22:38 »

:lol:

pigeonpie

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 23:22 »
The idea of those worms in the bath did make me giggle!

We had a few spots of rain earlier and I got really excited but it didn't amount to more.  The few drops evaporated as soon as they hit the paving slabs.  I will dig out my tambourine and give the rain dancing another go tomorrow.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 23:23 »
How do you get it out of the sink and onto the plot stig? Curious as I cannot imagine what kind of contraption you would need, apart from siphoning it off - or slowly scooping it out of the bowl which would take ageees. Sorry if I'm ignorant! I have to drive to the plot too, so wouldn't be able to carry water as have v.small car

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 09:53 »
How do you get it out of the sink and onto the plot stig? Curious as I cannot imagine what kind of contraption you would need, apart from siphoning it off - or slowly scooping it out of the bowl which would take ageees. Sorry if I'm ignorant! I have to drive to the plot too, so wouldn't be able to carry water as have v.small car
I do my washing up in a bowl, so it's easy to pick it up and tip it over the plants :D
But it is easy to syphon bath water through the hose and out onto your garden if your bathroom is upstairs.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 23:03 »
Hmm, I have a downstairs bathroom, so maybe not so easy. Hate to waste water though!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 23:14 »
THIS might be taking things a bit far for you Jome but I used to have something similar and it did work!

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 22:17 »
Ooh nice bit of kit JayG, but I think my husband might divorce me if I bought that! he's not a gardening fan and that might be a step too far in his opinion!

xx
Wanting to start sowing on the plot but lack of water.

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 09:35
by lucywil
xx
lack of slugs?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 19:05
by Grubbypaws
xx
redcurrants or lack of?

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 06:02
by spadework
xx
Lack of apples

Started by andimac on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 30, 2015, 12:14
by Anton

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 38 queries.