Help

• 5 Replies

Curlytop

Help
« on: June 26, 2010, 13:51 »
Hi All
I have 4 hens all of which seem ok apart from the Warren who has been itchy of late, she hasn't laid an egg for over two weeks now and is only 5 months old. I have been checking her over but yesterday noticed that under both wings it looked matted though I couldn't find any signs of lice or mites, I dusted her with the Barrier Lice powder and red mite powder but feel this properly isn't going to be enough.

I have noticed that Frontline and Johnsons seem to be popular, is there an egg withdrawal period (assuming she starts laying again) with either of these products and how often would you use them? Also should I do all my hens even though they look clear of anything nasty?

Thank you for your help as I am lost in knowing what is best

Fisherman

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 14:34 »
I had a similar problem and used Frontline for kittens. This cleared the bugs up pretty qucik and they haven't been seen since (6 weeks now). No egg withdrawl as the medication isn't taken internally. Frontline comes in a small dispencer whcih I used on 5 birds so it will be OK for your 4. Apply a drop to each bird on the skin at the back of the neck. I intend to to use it 2 or 3 times a year to keep the birds free of external parasites.

Hope that helps.

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 21:03 »
I always wondered which Frontline you used, I'd never seen one for chooks in the chemist.(We can by Frontline in our pharmacies over here, saves going to the vets).

Curlytop

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 21:38 »
Thanks Fisherman I will get some and see if that sorts the problem out.  :)

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 08:31 »
When you go to buy it best not to tell them you intend to use it for chooks as they may not sell it to you! ::) ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Curlytop

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:56 »
Thanks Sassy, I mananged to get some and the word chicken didn't pass my lips  ;)

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 28 queries.