sun "is" a problem

• 16 Replies

prakash_mib

sun "is" a problem
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:33 »
one of my front raised bed has two blocks where nothing would grow (seeds) and plants would burn even if watered like others. What i found is the window above the bed is reflecting the light and heat and cooks both block. any ideas what to do with this kind of bizzare situation please?
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sun "is" a problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:48 »
the nearest block in the photo doesn't seem near enough to the window for that to be happening Prakash?

The soil there looks a bit heavy? it looks a bit green as if it doesn't drain very well?

sorry for all the questions  :blush:

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:01 »
the nearest and farthest blocks are ok MOS. the nearest one is my designer spring onion ( :lol:) and couple of pea plants. the farthest one is not having problems as well. the middle two ones are the problems.
one seeded. I had put 1 spinach sowing failed, 1 carrot sowing failed but 5-6 seedling have appeared near to the flower border (farthest from wall), 1 amaranth sowing where I have got 3 seedlings. from around 200-300 seeds.
the other one is a flower block which should look like the farthest one planted in same time and similar watering. but the lobelias are browning and dying, geraniums are dying as are the marigolds.
The soil is not heavy at all and it is a very good topsoil and has fine tilth.

and the green tinge is from my camera!!! :)

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:39 »
Perhaps the soil is not fertile enough - it looks like it needs something like compost or manure digging in, maybe a mulch on top?  As top soil, it might be drying out too quickly.

Also the brick wall will absorb a lot of heat during a hot sunny day which slowly releases it overnight, so should be perfect for something that likes heat such as chillies, peppers or tomatoes.  Personally I think that wall is begging for some trellising (no specific reason to your problem - I just like things like that  :lol:) but it could help to keep some plants cooler?

Somehow I don't believe the sun/reflection from the window is the problem if you grow plants that need full sun - I grow loads of stuff in pots under my dining room window which is south facing and they seem fine.  What about window cleaning - is it possible something is running off into the bed, or maybe from rain (I can see stains on the window ledge directly above those 2 beds)

Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

gillie

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 12:22 »
Is there any lead in the flashings round the window?

Gillie

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 13:41 »
Sounds a daft question, but how good is the drainage?
From the photo the soil in those 2 beds looks like its been 'flooded' and drained slowly, which could be not helping.- is the main drainage at the ends?

I would mix in some grit and manure-(covers most issues) once having checked how its draining.

Also what people are mentioning about run off from the windows- have the been treated with one of those 'No need to clean' substances that leaches out, as some of them contain algaecide to prevent the windows going green.....
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

prakash_mib

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 17:51 »
I hardly clean the windows and havent done it in the past year.
No, it is not coated with any algicides.
The drainage is good with the bottom having 10mm gravel.
Its not flooded, the water is drying out from overnight watering.

This is the diary of How i did it.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=52096.0

still confused how two blocks a meter away for each other (2nd and 4th) behave completely different. probably I will go for toms and chillis on that bed too next year.

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 18:15 »
The soil looks a bit 'airless', it looks like a fine silt which will compact down after watering leaving no air space between the particles.

Looking at the plants you have in there, were they bought as plants? If so they will have already been fairly established and would fair a lot better than a newly emerged seedling. Also the compost in the plugs or cells would have been 'airy' so allowing oxygen to the roots.

From my experience for years (this year I've had success), spring onions are notoriously difficult to germinate at the best of times.

I'm with those above who are advocating manure/compost or grit, I'd do both for good measure so the soil is 'fluffy'.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe ants are getting into the bed from below (could be built over an existing nest at the wall line), red ants will eat/destroy roots, black ants just move things around especially seeds.

Antonius

• My space away from the rat race
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 18:57 »
Why not start your plants in peat pots? When they are strong enough,put them into your beds with a good watering/feed...this should solve a big percentage of your troubles. :D
I wouldn't say I was the best manager for the job,but I would say I'm in the top one! (Brian Clough)

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 19:01 »
Why not knock your house down ... i'm sure the raise bed would be ok then  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 19:34 »
Silly Dave  :tongue2:

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 19:42 »
Silly Dave  :tongue2:

Wow you know me so well   :)

mobilekat

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 21:09 »
Looking back at your original post, I do think the soil needs some help- you said it was top soil that was delivered, and as Trikidiki says it is looking quite airless.

I would be tempted to take out about 1/4 from the affected areas and mix in some compost, as topsoil on its own can be very poor and there may be a multitude of minor problems the plants are facing that is just overwhelming them!

And there could be enough variety in the soil you got that different zones are just a little better and worse than each other- I know I have no two areas in my garden that are exactly the same!

Some good new humus rich compost, should definitely help, and sneak in some older plants (loads going cheap in most garden centres now!).

Good luck!

rivkele

• vo quartet
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 22:06 »
Assuming it is a too much heat/light problem, then planting things like chillis and peppers would seem to be a good solution.
Also, coriander.
I once tried to grow things on a roof terrace in barcelona which got no shade whatsoever and heated up like an oven, and nothing worked except coriander. It seemed to love the conditions and i've never managed to get such a good crop anywhere else.
rebecca:-)

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 22:50 »
tbh the soil looks like cement
as in its been watered and set

get a fork in there half  bag of settled and all should be good

it does look like a clay enviro 

xx
Wild "weeds" nearby - a problem or a good thing?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 19:53
by bb_odiham
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Strange "problem". Oversized veg

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 15:32
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
serious potato problem "help"

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 16:59
by vron

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 38 queries.