Walnut wine

• 3 Replies

catllar

Walnut wine
« on: June 25, 2010, 19:03 »
This is a local  Catalan recipe - a bit long in the making but very good!  To one litre of good red wine  (11 or 12 degrees) add 7 or 9 ( must be an uneven number number to keep evil spirits at bay) green walnuts, whole in the casing and bashed with a hammer. Cork the resulting brew and leave on its side for 12 months.  Filter the reulting mix and warm gently. Add to taste a handful of camomile fennel and lime leaves and warm the resulting mix to make an infusion. FIlter. Whilst still warm add 1 kilo of sugar and stir until disolved. Then (and this is the best bit) add up to 1 litre of dark rum. Mix well, bottle and  leave for a month. Then drink as an aperitif or ( and I like this bit best) as a medicine to help digestive problems!  I think I'll pass on the rest and head straight for the rum, what d'ya think?

Cazzy

Re: Walnut wine
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 19:17 »
This sounds like my kinda brew lol
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 19:21 »
Interesting, but i would agree drink the wine and rum and put the walnuts in vinegar. :)

tiptopchickendon

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 22:30 »
Me and the missus have just started making Nocino, using Walnuts brought back from France by a friend.

Basically, you take 33 green walnuts and cut them in half. make sure you wear gloves and cut them on something you dont staining... ! missus fingers look like she has been smoking 60 players a day  :ohmy:
Place walnuts along with 2 sticks of cinniman, 4 cloves and a vest of a lemon in a jar big enough to hold them and a litre of spirit. In our case 95% stuff bought back from Italy

put the jar containing spirit, nuts etc somewhere bright, a window sill etc.
Leave for 40 days until mixture turns blackish. Then strain liquid into a 2.5l  container along with a mixture of 1.25l water and 750g sugar.
Leave for at least a year, 2 is better i beleive.

serve Ice cold... ::)

also made a batch, where we used plain vodka only, not  spirit and water combined

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
Wine from anything

Started by seadart on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post August 19, 2007, 23:07
by muntjac
xx
Pea Pod Wine

Started by rock_chick on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 19:37
by rock_chick
xx
Wine from old jam.....

Started by jacnal on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 00:10
by wisp

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 28 queries.