Why no ladybirds?

• 23 Replies

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
Re: Why no ladybirds?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 23:01 »
I just  put a ladybird in the garden as it was crawling along the coffee table  ::)

Zippy

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 01:55 »
throw all your chemicals away and go organic, add wildlife friendly spots to your allotment and you will soon see a return to balance as well as being able to produce excellent crops and the ladybirds will return as if from nowhere.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 10:19 »
throw all your chemicals away and go organic, add wildlife friendly spots to your allotment and you will soon see a return to balance as well as being able to produce excellent crops and the ladybirds will return as if from nowhere.

I would agree, but I am almost entirely organic, have piles of rotting wood in corners of the garden, live next to a slow running stream etc.  Still no ladybirds.  For 5 years!  Maybe they just dont like me  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 10:41 »
Och! Don't be sad, lad!

Never had that many here but have not seen a single one this year (maybe they have become too "soft" for the frozen north?!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 21:35 »
There was a lovely one on a cornflower while I was watering - it's the first one I've seen in the garden all summer

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 21:37 »
Sorry, forgot to take the italics off the above post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antonius

• My space away from the rat race
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 22:15 »
There's loads of ladybirds up here on our allotment in Manchester...maybe they like the rain!  :D
I wouldn't say I was the best manager for the job,but I would say I'm in the top one! (Brian Clough)

Zippy

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 22:21 »
Rain? you've got rain?

Beklet

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 09:34 »
We have loads of ladybirds though a couple of weeks ago was a bit upset to notice a number of dead ones  :(
At one point I could count a ladybird on every carrot plant  :D
And they're all proper ladybirds too - not those nasty big bitey cannibalistic Harlequin things with too many spots - urgh had an infestation of those in my house couple of years back - they kept biting the cat who is now terrified of ladybirds..... ???
Last year I even found a couple of yellow ladybirds hiding in the plants - haven't seen any of them for years, certainly not since I lived in the East Midlands!
We also have loads of newts - nice because they've prevented the council from digging up some of the allotments to put a new water main in (for an estate that hasn't been built yet)

xx
Ladybirds

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 17:21
by goose
xx
Ladybirds!

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 18:26
by purplebat
xx
Where Do You Buy Ladybirds ?

Started by Bricktop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 18, 2021, 10:36
by Yorkie
xx
ladybirds

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 15, 2014, 19:41
by Wiltshire Worms

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 37 queries.