Red peppers

• 14 Replies

catllar

Red peppers
« on: June 24, 2010, 21:36 »
I am feeling very happy with myself - I bought a crate of red peppers, big fat juicy ones - 5 euros for 5kgs and have got them charred and cooling. Tomorrow comes thejob of removing the skins and then into sterilized kilner jars, top up with oil and chopped garlic - job done and instant sunshine on  a plate. Salad with hardboiled eggs and beans and tuna, and the flavoured oil is a bonus to go with pasta or on new potatoes. These will help OH, who, bless him, is an utter klutz in the kitchen, so that when I go into hospital he can eat something wholesome and when I am  home again  he can respond to instructions - eg  "open jar of peppers, open tin of tuna" etc! I'll have three months of recuperation so, perhaps I should do another 5kgs while I have time! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Red peppers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 21:52 »
I would if I were you  :lol:

I'm so jealous 3 peppers  for £1.69 here :ohmy:  :(

white westie

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 23:38 »
Hi mum,
Go to your local Aldi store they are three for 69p.bargin. :)

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 00:00 »
 :blink:  We've got them at cost before from a friend of ours who owns a farm shop, but it's still between £12 and £15 for 5kg!

pigeonpie

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 00:29 »
It is a shame that peppers cost so much here in the UK but we have to remember the difficulties of growing them on a large scale in our climate.  Please try and remember the poor farmers who only get what the supermarket will pay for them which is sometimes not much more than the cost to produce them. 
Perhaps we have to make a decision on ethics as to whether we would prefer to support British Farmers and have fewer food miles but pay more for the privilege or buy cheaper from the continent.
Sorry, rant over!  The in-laws farm and hubbie works on an arable farm and the UK is generally pretty rubbish at supporting British farmers in what may soon become a dying trade.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 08:51 »
I'm with you, I try to buy British and get cross if I can't get British stuff when it's in season, especially when you get some supermarkets who reckon they support British farmers then don't have stuff like lamb when it's in season. Worse still, just to say they have British, they mix a little British in with the foreign stuff, Cues next to each other in dfferent boxes and that sort of thing, lamb and pork, looking identical but from mixed countries on the same shelf....etc etc >:(

Maxine Groobey

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 17:50 »
Lucky you and well done! Hope you are well soon :)

catllar

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 13:19 »
Thanks, I'm off into hospital this afternoon and I'm a tad nervous - I think I'm going to feel a lot worse before I feel better! I'm allergic to morphine so that's going to be fun. Been out for a lazy boozy lunch and spent morning packing stuff, ironing and organizing OH. I hope to be back home here in a week. I'm not going into a convalescent home (very common here) cos you go for 6 weeks and I'd go nuts! I'll convalesce at home. I've got a great physio who comes home to me as often as needed and as my house is all on one level, no problems moving about - so why would I want to take up a bed for some poor person who has no support at home. It will take three months to get back to form soI'm told, so that's my gardening summer bu.....d then.! Looking positively, I fell and broke my back last year in June and the recovery time went very quickly so I can't see why this time will be any different. Phew, that's better, got it off my chest. Bye for now.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 14:10 »
Oh good luck with the op catllar

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 19:41 »
You'll be in hospital by now but hopefully all is going well and see you when you get out  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

catllar

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 14:44 »
Thanks everyone - back out now and home - lying  down is the order for the next 4 weeks (!) You'll be hearing a lot from me  on here - then 8 more weeks of getting slowly mobile again. Feeling much much better than before I went in (which is the objective) By the way there are still grilled red peppers in the larder, OH hasn't scoffed them all!

pigeonpie

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 22:36 »
Happy convalescing.  Make sure you take it easy.  If only OH's were more trainable you could get waited on hand and foot.  When I was recovering from an op I suggested to my hubbie that I could have a bell to ring so that he would know when I needed something.  He gave me one of those looks.
I learnt to be very patient whilst he spent his time making things for the garden instead of looking after me.  Bless them!

catllar

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 11:32 »
Yes, he's doing his best but there are some things they just dont see - like dust and fluff. He can't understand why once you've had a shower you still have to wash the shower itself! :unsure: That said he's learnt to make tomato onion and mozzarella salad - so we're having that every day now!  :DMust be careful not to be too picky - he might confiscate the pooter! and I can't manage to pick it up  yet. Iam currently lying flat out on bed with laptop balanced on boobs  and one crossed ankle.  Makes accessing keyboard a challenge!  :wacko: Overdid a tad yesterday and am paying a bit today - yes OK body, I am listening!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 13:12 »
Iam currently lying flat out on bed with laptop balanced on boobs  and one crossed ankle.  Makes accessing keyboard a challenge! 

That's an interesting image  :lol:

How do you cross just the single ankle?  ::) ;) :D

catllar

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 15:13 »
 :lol: :lol:Double-jointed, double-jointed!

xx
Peppers in oil

Started by Splodge on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 11:26
by Splodge
xx
Red chilli peppers

Started by Henwoman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 09:18
by Dirt Diver
xx
Can you freeze peppers

Started by MrsPea on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 18:46
by MrsPea
xx
Freezing Peppers

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 09:12
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 37 queries.