Pumpkins are taking over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 10 Replies

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
Pumpkins are taking over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 23, 2010, 21:02 »
Help!!!!!

I have two pumpkins that are taking over our plot, question is can I trim them to prevent further growth??? We have some flowers appearing and each plant now has three main runners to it. :(

Beetroot queen

Re: Pumpkins are taking over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 21:05 »
I did have to trim ours last year as they took over. I told them they could take two beds and three pathways but they just were not happy to do it my way so the hair cut proceeded. I did wait until after the fruits had all set

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 21:06 »
You don't usually start pinching them out until you actually have some pumpkins set, if you pinch out too early you may not get any fruit as the flowers you already have  may not get pollinated.

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 21:08 »
I did have to trim ours last year as they took over. I told them they could take two beds and three pathways but they just were not happy to do it my way so the hair cut proceeded. I did wait until after the fruits had all set

I've talked to them but they won't listen, I get more sense out of our four year old.....will wait untill fruit has set then take a sharp pair of something to them.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 21:13 »

I've talked to them but they won't listen, I get more sense out of our four year old.....will wait untill fruit has set then take a sharp pair of something to them.

You have to resort to threats this year they will know I mean it  :lol: chip chop chip chop

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 21:16 »

You have to resort to threats this year they will know I mean it  :lol: chip chop chip chop

:tongue2: :D :D :D :D

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 14:45 »
Mine are still only 4 little leaves but I have set aside one of my large beds for them and the other squashes I am growing.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

madcat

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 12:00 »
Think 3D.  Is there anything that they can go up  - and out of the way?  I've got temporary fences that they are climbing.  When they get to the edge I just turn them round to go back again.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 12:25 »
Also easy to train in circles with a few canes. This year I am aiming them at the weeds and hey presto, pumpkin mulch!

Babstreefern

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 13:23 »
Hey Trebor, great idea, I'll do that with mine.  I've three 3 giants :ohmy:, and they are creeping (or gallumping) towards my fennel patch :wacko:
Babs

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 17:30 »
we have been away for the weekend and oh my god they took over the spud bed, teh strawberry bed and they were heading for the rhubarb pass me the choppers  :ohmy:

xx
Pumpkins taking over!

Started by dizzylizzie on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 20:08
by dizzylizzie
xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot
xx
Pumpkins, pumpkins and more squahses

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 10:32
by WG.
xx
Taking off Netting

Started by Arls0308 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 15:20
by Arls0308

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 38 queries.