Pruning Lilac

• 4 Replies

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Pruning Lilac
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:29 »
I have a standard lilac in the garden Its a dwarf form grafted onto a standard rootstock and looks really good with a superb fragrance. Now, I have a little problem the head has got a bit big and needs pruning but I don't know much about how to prune lilac. Can anyone offer some advice. Ta
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Pruning Lilac
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 13:58 »
I don't know of any rules, but when my Mum's got thuggish, I used to cut it back hard. The trouble is there was hardly any flower for the next year. I used to do it after flowering so it grew some new leaves and didn't look too bare for the rest of the year.

I've got one of the ones with tiny flowers and it flowers in waves all through the Summer into Autumn. I just dead head and shorten between flowerings.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 17:45 »
We pruned our Lilac and had no flowers for 2 years.
I love the smell of a lilac but hate the shoots that appear all round the tree very hard to get up.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 17:55 »
From my RHS pruning book;

Prune in midsummer, as the flowers fade; renovate in winter.

Established plants should be deadheaded carefully, where practical, with secateurs, to avoid damaging the  young shoots which will flower next year.  Remove suckers as seen.

To renovate, cut back main steams to within 1-2' of ground - regrowth will be thinned but flowering delayed by up to 3 years.  Preferably stagger renovation over 2-3 years.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 19:56 »
For a standard, I wouldn't prune it the same. Where you got any blooms this year is what you need to cut off as no more will come from this bit - but not the whole branch, just to immediately above where the flower spray started. Then do a light general shaping, and I mean light, no trimming it into lollypop shapes or anything or as said, you'll cut off next year's buds. Better a little bit each year until you can see where trimming worked and where it didn't.

xx
lilac

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 07:05
by chrissie B
clip
Lilac help please.....

Started by sunnywillow on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2020, 15:35
by sunnywillow
xx
Lilac?

Started by Lily on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 20:53
by gobs
xx
Lilac!

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 18:15
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 37 queries.