onions

• 9 Replies

bigsyko75

onions
« on: June 22, 2010, 21:08 »
Hi there everyone just a quick question please,my missus just pulled out 2 onions from a bag that we bought from the supermarket and they have roots coming from the top,she said i should plant them in the garden and i thought it was a great idea as i'm already growing potatoes,mint and a few other bits of veg,anyway i wondered and can't find a answer to which way do i plant them is it the roots into the ground or should they be facing the top,any other advice much appreciated.
Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: onions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 22:00 »
Roots go downwards  :)

But I'm not convinced that the onion will do much in your garden / plot.  You usually grow them either from seed or baby onions called sets.  The ones you're describing are putting up a shoot which will only contain a flower head.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 22:02 »
OK, I'll bite. Here's probably the sum total of my knowledge on the subject.

1. Onions have a pointy end and a blunt end. The blunt end is where the roots appear and the pointy end is where the green growth appears. So they are planted with the blunt end downwards.

2. Onions are normally grown from either seeds or 'sets' which are onions grown from seed and then stopped prematurely.

3. It's not generally regarded as a good idea to grow things, bought for eating, from supermarkets. It's best to buy seed or sets from a garden centre or suchlike and plant them at the required time. Otherwise you might introduce disease.

4. Ignoring the fact that you would be starting off with an onion, rather than a set, now is not the time to plant it anyway. Some sets are planted in spring for an autumn crop, other types can be planted in autumn for a summer crop the next year.

My advice is to cut the roots off (if they're on the blunt end) and eat it. Otherwise, it's an alien - welcome it to our planet and ask it for a huge loan.

pedro

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 22:15 »
i cant see any point to planting the onion as the most all you will get is an onion, which you have already.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 22:21 »
Actually if you plant an onion that is already grown, all you will get is if you are lucky a seed head,  but more likely a rotten onion and maybe some nasty bacteria in your soil as you don't know where the onion came from!

Silly question Syko, but why did your wife want you to plant it in the first place?

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 22:36 »
i cant see any point to planting the onion as the most all you will get is an onion, which you have already.

Love it  :lol:  straight and to the point  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 06:47 »

Love it  :lol:  straight and to the point  :lol:

Straight to the point, but incorrect.

Grannieannie is right, it will run to seed and at best you'll get seeds of an unknown variety, which may not be suited to growing in our climate.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigsyko75

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 11:12 »
Okay then thanks very much for your replys :)

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 11:43 »
DD you certainly know yer onions  :D
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:45 »
 :D :D :D JohnB47 You've made my day. Bigskyo75 send the alien my way I could do with the money :D

Page created in 0.621 seconds with 28 queries.