Contrary chickens

• 3 Replies

themagicaltoad1

Contrary chickens
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:20 »
I have 2 separate coops and runs, one for the older girls, one for the 9wk old chicks. Most of the day they are loose in the garden together, (they warily keep to their own groups). But they they do insist on going into the other group's run and eating the pellets. So my chicks are eating layers and my laying hens are eating growers! I want them to be able to eat whenever they want so don't want to pick the dishes up or lock them in their runs. The grass, (or in this case pellets), are obviously greener on the other side.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Contrary chickens
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 13:01 »
 :lol: ::) :lol:

I gave up on putting out the growers pellets for the ducklings as the chickens and drakes kept eating them all while the ducklings tucked into the layers  ::) In the morning I give the three youngest ducklings some growers in their mini-run and then for the rest of the day they tuck into layers with the rest of them  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 20:42 »
When I bought my first chooks, the breeder was throwing windfall apples to his big run of POLs causing mass hysteria, meanwhile one was breaking her neck trying get something else through the wire.

He looked at her and said - that's chickens right enough.  Always want the thing they can't have  ::)  :lol:

TeaPots

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 21:33 »
Its not unlike them all wanting to sleep squashed in the same coop, when there are 3 coops for 15 hens. All queueing for the same nest box when there are plenty, identical, available.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

xx
how many chickens

Started by allotmenteer on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 13:26
by Elcie
xx
new chickens

Started by Martyne on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 23:10
by ANHBUC
xx
Do we look after ourselves as well as our chickens?

Started by Lindeggs on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 01:09
by Lindeggs
xx
New Chickens

Started by Chicken_Lover on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 16:04
by Chicken_Lover

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.