hello everyone

• 7 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
hello everyone
« on: June 21, 2010, 23:35 »
Joined up to learn about chickens and growing some veg in my back garden.

First question our neighbour has three cats and we suffer visits from several cats these days, (we used to have dogs but now no pets), trouble is the bottom lawn smells badly of cat pee and usually has cat sh*t also.

Now I have have had friends who kept chickens and also cats. Question is if the chickens run free on my bottom lawn am I going to have poluted eggs?.

Second question I have watered both my top lawn and bottom one with Jeyes fluid in the can, a good splash from the tin into a half gallon can. Makes the bottom lawn smell better for a short while. Any better ideas folks?

Thanks
Dan
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

Sassy

Re: hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:06 »
I'm not sure if you are supposed to use Jeyes fluid on open ground there may have been a new ruling on this - can't keep up with all the changes. You could try a dry product like Stalosan which is suitable for this.

PS Jeyes is poisonous to cats!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:26 »
I use Jeyes Fluid for everything outside and cleaning the chicken house and run and also their feeders and drinkers.
I would have thought if it was poisenous to cats we wouldn't be able to use it for any animals house cleaning.

I may be wrong but my chickens are still here.

Check this if unsure

http://www.jeyes.co.uk/jeyesfluidJF.htm

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 14:00 »
Not sure about any of the rules applying to things like Jeyes but from most cats stay away from hens (mainly due to being chased by them!) so you might find that thus proble
is better when you have hens. They will of course eat you veg and grass and send it out the other end when done!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 16:50 »
Thanks folks I am much happier now. Whilst I do like most domestic animals, I worry about their waste products, especially when growing foods in the same soil.

Living where we do, right on the side of the canal, we get visits from the fox, our last dog Bobby used to play with them, so I will have to supervise hens when let out on the loose so to speak, on the bottom lawn.

I would like to build my own fox proof hen house, for maybe two birds, so would be grateful for any simple plans or advice. I can get lots of second hand timber, and am a keen recycler, even bending nails straight :D

Dan

jhub

• jane
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 07:21 »
Haynes Chicken manual has a set of plans for building a coop.
Good luck
Jane

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:18 »
I use Jeyes Fluid for everything outside and cleaning the chicken house and run and also their feeders and drinkers.
I would have thought if it was poisenous to cats we wouldn't be able to use it for any animals house cleaning.

I may be wrong but my chickens are still here.

Check this if unsure

http://www.jeyes.co.uk/jeyesfluidJF.htm

Says poisonous to cats on the side of my tin!

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 08:34 »
I didn't know that and now wonder if it is safe to use for other things to do with the chickens.
Luckily there are no cats here now.

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 37 queries.