Aubergines outside?

• 7 Replies

Elcie

Aubergines outside?
« on: June 21, 2010, 21:42 »
The advice on the seed packet was to grow in an unheated greenhouse and they are doing really well.  I was wondering, has anyone had any success transferring their aubergines outside?  I was thinking of putting one in my square foot front garden, but don't want it to die straight away!

compostqueen

Re: Aubergines outside?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 22:48 »
I have grown them on outside in big pots but I used to take them in if it got cold  :D They did fruit but I think they're better with some protection as you get bigger fruits I'd say. They are big plants though and difficult to find greenhouse room for so I stand them outside and leave them out while it's sunny. If it gets windy I bring them in though  :) 

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 23:30 »
I grew Bonica last year on the plot. They didn't grow too tall and though the plants were a bit grumpy at being put outside at first they managed to fruit in September. I have to add that I worked away midweek for seven weeks last summer so they were very neglected and they were tended to only at the weekend.
But I only had enough crop for one big bowl of baba ghanoush. This year I will try harder as I am a recent convert. I used to loathe the slimy texture but once I had had them cooked properly I now adore them!
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 23:32 »
I've put mine out a couple of weeks ago, after a couple of weeks of hardening off, and they seem to be doing fine, and they've started flowering. But only time will tell... I read everywhere that they do better in a greenhouse, but I don't have one so I'm crossing my fingers!

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:13 »
I've grown them in and out defo did better inside. HAving said that just give them plenty off sun  and shelter(keep out off the wind) and i think they'll do ok

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 06:20 »
I grew the little srtipy ones last year, some in the greenhouse and the left-overs outside. The outside ones were a bit later than the greenhouse ones but they had more fruits on, I should imagine because the insects could get to them better. I haven,t grown any this year, didn't like them much.

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 19:28 »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I have 11 growing in Morrisons flower buckets in the greenhouse so I might chance one in the front garden.  Think it is a great looking plant so it will be worth it.  I will start hardening one off this week.

purplebean

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 20:28 »
Down in MK you might be OK, I have never managed to get one to crop outdoors up in Yorkshire  :( Actually I don't like aubergines but I really want to grow them to taste one straight from the plant as I suspect it will bear no resemblance to the pap sold in shops

xx
aubergines

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 16:11
by chrissie B
xx
Aubergines

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post May 20, 2017, 09:30
by mumofstig
xx
aubergines

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 17:00
by smc
xx
Aubergines

Started by Wild Pony on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 23:17
by BigPaddy

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.