problems with introducing

• 2 Replies

Silkysmooth

problems with introducing
« on: June 21, 2010, 16:30 »
Hi There,

I've introduced 6 more hens to my current flock but there seems to be alot of fighting going on!

They we're introduced late saturday evening and all the new birds are frightened and are keeping in the nesting boxes and are not going into the pen at all. Is there any advice to stop them fighting or will the pecking order fights continue for a while? I hope they stop soon!

Many Thanks

Andy

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: problems with introducing
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 17:05 »
andy, i think its just gonna be one of those times where you have to step back and let them get on with it, its all too easy to intervene and take them away but if you want them to be all in one flock then your just gonna have to let them sort the pecking order out, i know its alwful to watch but as long as none of your original girls are drawing blood out of the newbies then leave them too it.  Hopefully it will all be over soon,  making sure they all have enough room aswell now you have introduced newbies, space is important, less space will make the settling in process worse as they will be on top of each other,  prehaps putting some kind of boxes and perches in the run so the newbies can take a breather.   Good luck   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Jeanette

Re: problems with introducing
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 19:38 »
If you can put in some more feeding and drinking stations just to make sure the new ones can get to food. I also put a couple of buckets on its side in the run so that the girls can get into and not be bullied so much. It is hard to see them fighting but they have to be left alone to get on with it. If it gets really bad remove the main bully not the new girls for a couple of days and she will lose her place at the top of the pecking order. If they draw blood spray her with purple spray then the other chickens will not be drawn to the sight of the blood they go for anything red. Hope this helps.

xx
introducing 2 pure breeds, with 4 hybrids....problems!!

Started by jakes-old-man on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 08:40
by jakes-old-man
xx
re introducing

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 21:46
by goosebusters75
xx
Introducing new hen...

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 15:34
by bantam novice
xx
Introducing my girls

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 14:30
by Wyandottie

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 28 queries.