New Allotment - Really Excited - Could do with some advice though please.

• 7 Replies

raq

Hi Everyone,

After being on the waiting list for three years i have finally got an allotment.

It was covered in weeds, of which we have managed to clear about half of, and are currently, although i know probably not a great idea, watering the soil we have cleared as the soil was so dry it was like concrete.

The soil from what i can tell is very much a clay soil, we had much fun yesterday trying to get about 4 inches off the bottom of our boots.

We are now able to fork over the soil of the half that we have weeded and are trying to clear out all the roots (it is feeling like it is more root than actual soil at the moment).

I planned on planting a small section on the end that we've cleared of runner beans, donated by my dad, beetroot and maybe one more thing, and than i thought about putting green manure on the rest until spring.

What is the best green manure for this type of soil?

And does what i'm planning sound alright?

And please point out if i'm doing anything wrong, were all new to this and i have been reading up but it's a bit over whelming at the moment.

Upside is that everyone there seems really friendly, and we are really looking forward to next summer.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Hi raq

Sounds OK so far dig the roots out, plant up usable beds and green manure .  Need to think how you are going to lay the plot out in the long term either deep beds about 4 foot wide  or the traditional dig the whole lot and make paths where needed each year.  No point in digging if you don't have to. Phalecia should work OK as a green manure now followed by something like winter tares in autumn.  I would keep preparing beds there is a lot of things you can overwinter Spring cabbage sown next month, Garlic and overwintered onions September October  remember the beds for these if prepped now can be used for salads till needed. Bought in seedling of Winter Cabbage and Brussel sprouts can be planted soon. It all depends how much time you have might be best to concentrate on say a quarter of the plot to get it in tip top condition now and work on another quarter for late autumn planting and just cover the other half with polythene (Black) till you can get to it as you do the winter digging.  Try and get some comfrey in a quiet corner and let it grow then you can use that in your compost as it developes.

And remember this is fun!! you don't have  to meet a target its a hobby do what you can and enjoy what you do.

Good luck post any questions you have and remember there is no such thing as a silly question We all started somewhere.

Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Hi

Just put your location into your profile, different areas will need to do things at different times.

raq

Thanks, i'm in South East London.

Where is the cheapest place to buy phalecia seeds from?

Do i just grow it until i want to plant in that area then mulch it down into the soil?

I have a friend that can get hold of lots of horse manure, so when thats rotted down i will work that through aswell.

Is it also best to start out all eeds in small pots before you plant them out?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Try a google search for phacelia - somewhere like alan romans or kings seeds might do cheap deals.

I think it's advised to dig it in a) before flowering and b) in any event a couple of weeks at least before you want to sow or plant anything else in the spot.

Manure is good, just make sure that the grass wasn't treated with a herbicide called pyralid or aminopyralid, this will kill certain veggies such as beans and spuds.

I start most things off in pots as they are frost-tender and need to be under cover to start with.  You'll see lots of posts about pre-chitting things like parsnips, which have germination unreliability, indoors but I always sow them, carrots & peas direct.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Antonius

• My space away from the rat race
Hello Rag,enjoy your plot,but do not do too much of one thing all at once. This will destroy your enjoyment. Do a little bit of this,that and the other to keep up interest. Get hold of some comfrey if you can and make sure you keep it under control by restricting root growth. Comfrey is a free high potash feed for many of your plants and it is highly effective. Happy gardening :D
I wouldn't say I was the best manager for the job,but I would say I'm in the top one! (Brian Clough)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

D T Brown  sells Phacelia green manure seeds and they don't charge P&P :)

Elcie

What you are planning sounds great.  Planting some things in the area you have prepared is a great idea and having some crops this year will really boost your enjoyment of the place.

You also don't have to wait until next summer to start enjoying the space, you will be able to plant overwintering garlic, onions and broad beans in the autumn and before you know it the new year will be here and it will be time to sow lots of seeds.

Good luck with your plot!

xx
New Allotment - So Excited

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 04, 2013, 14:26
by Mr Dog
clip
New allotment; excited!

Started by Jax64 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 17, 2019, 07:39
by Jax64
xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
New allotment advice

Started by johnyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 20:08
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 30 queries.