spuds

• 8 Replies

alfieplot162

spuds
« on: June 21, 2010, 12:35 »
hi, my potatoes have not grown much, as they were covered in weeds, is it possible to put a mulch around them to retain moisture i was thinking of using grass cuttings  thanks alfie

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: spuds
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 13:54 »
I use grass clippings around mine but opinion differs amongst the forum members. The clippings can remove nitrogen from the soil as they decompose (I think that's right?) but I have very sandy soil  so retaining moisture is very important for me. I think I can afford to loose a little nitrogen as i use lots of rotted organic matter in the planting trench. Always get a good crop of spuds anyway so I'm happy  :)

There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

alfieplot162

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 10:26 »
thanks for your help, i am going to mulch all my plot to keep the weeds down . alfie

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 12:03 »
I always mulch around my potatoes and Beans with Grass clippings, never caused a problem yet.

horticgirl

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:27 »
Whilst grass clippings will retain moisture, it won't have the same effect as earthing up.
Earthing up with soil means you get more potatoes as the plant is able to produce shoots with spuds on higher up the plant. You won't get this with grass clippings as they can't grow in the clippings.
hope that helps

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 12:50 »
I earth up then mulch with clippings. A friend of mine cuts grass for a living and he grows potatoes in the grass pile - he just keeps throwing more grass on and the potatoes grow through it. He has very good yeilds too (and easy to harvest as the pile is now 3 feet high)  :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 13:25 »
The clippings can remove nitrogen from the soil as they decompose (I think that's right?) quote]

It's the other way about aelf, Green material contains nitrogen. It's the brown materials that remove nitrogen as they decompose.

I have seen an allotment completely covered in black material with holes for the plants to grow through.

horticgirl

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 13:32 »
wow that's interesting and not what I've been told - although I assume it has to be kept really moist, otherwise too many air spaces for the roots?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 13:48 »
he doesn't water them at all, or care for them. He just throws some seed potatoes on the pile about March and covers them with clippings each week. The spuds do the rest - sink or swim as he says!  :)

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
When are your first spuds going in?

Started by dougsta on Grow Your Own

111 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 19:11
by Babstreefern
xx
After spuds?

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 22:33
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 37 queries.