Chicken Dispatch Query

• 1 Replies

UrbanG

Chicken Dispatch Query
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:52 »
Hi All,

Last Sat I had to dispatch one of our hens, it was the 1st time I have done it but it all went well by using the head dislocation method.

My girlfriend was away on holiday at the time and she really wanted to be a part of our 1st dispatch so instead of plucking and gutting the chicken on Monday I froze the whole chicken (feathers / guts and all)

The idea being, when the OH gets back off holiday we can defrost the whole bird and carry on with the plucking and gutting together as a team.

Thing is, since then my mother has told me I should NOT of froze the bird without preping it first? she could not give me a reason why, its just something she could remember from her early years when grandad used to keep chickens.

So,
Have I done wrong by freezing the whole bird without prepping?
What are the conciquenses?
Can I just defrost and carry on with the plucking and gutting as if it has never been froze?

Many thanks
Scott
1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

Casey76

Re: Chicken Dispatch Query
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:16 »
Chickens are normally plucked while still warm as the feathers "set" into the skin when allowed to cool - especially the large flight feathers.

I guess if you are using this chicken for educational purposes only I guess it would be OK, but I would be wary of eating a bird which had been frozen with it's insides still in, in case of spoilage (leaching of intestinal contents during defrosting).

xx
For the chicken that has everything

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 09:24
by Springlands
xx
chicken poo

Started by pepsi100 on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 10:10
by ANHBUC
xx
Chicken and cat

Started by Beano on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 19:44
by jinty1911
xx
chicken poo

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 19:34
by billathome65

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 37 queries.