free yeast

• 38 Replies

Livinhope

Re: free yeast
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 10:16 »
Phil, Just read through the recipe again.  What do you cook your bread in, I don't have a '6 to 8 quart (1 quart = 2 pints) heavy covered pot', that seems huge for a 1 1/2 lb loaf?

BelgianPhil

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 11:08 »
I have this puppy from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40131725

I've tried using a smaller one and it didn't work that well. It need the room for the steam to come out of the bread and make a crusty top.

Maybe you could do two smaller ones? Just ccut the dough in half at the resting stage. Don't think it matters if you let it sit for half an hour longer while the first one is in the oven.

BelgianPhil

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 11:12 »

Livinhope

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 11:24 »
I never thought of using two smaller ones  ???.  Typical of me.  I've got a couple of pyrex casseroles which should do the job.  The other alternative would be the slow cooker bowl, but I would have to cover it with foil because of the plastic handle on the lid.  I'm going to start this at 2 pm so that I can carry on tomorrow morning. 

Wish me luck with my blasted oven.  I stand in front of it begging it to pack up and it's only a couple of years old.  We have no gas here but before Christmas I fully intend to have a calor cooker fitted.  :tongue2:

BelgianPhil

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 14:13 »
I'm quite keen to know how it turned out!

Pics please :)

Livinhope

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 21:02 »
You've heard the one about the best laid plans etc.  I was just getting down to assembling the ingredients and a friend turned up,  no bread.

Today I had veg which had to be pickled and couldn't wait.  Tomorrow after I've filled jars of mixed pickle I shall be on my own and then I can start it and finish it off Saturday.

Regarding pics, I'm sorry but I'm a complete computer bozo.  Everyone on here would probably be flabbergasted at my total computer ignorance. ???

Livinhope

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 15:27 »
Hi, Phil.  Just finished the first attempt, taste and texture are great.  I think I made a couple of mistakes but it's certainly better than any other bread I've ever made so going to have another go.  I think a) I baked it in a casserole dish that was a bit on the big side and, b) the second rising I left for over 2 1/2 hours but it didn't double in size and I didn't dare leave it any longer.  Just had a taste and there's not that awful yeasty taste of other breads I've made.  I can imagine it would be great with a salad or just bread and jam but you wouldn't use it for very refined cucumber sandwiches, but it's very acceptable and certainly not hard work a definite addition to the recipe book and very many thanks for guiding me through this one.  Recommended. :D :D :D

BelgianPhil

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 11:19 »
Great!
Taste is all that matters. We're not trying to impress the WI. What did you think of the crust?

Finding the right dish is also a bit of an issue. Ideally you would have a tall round cast iron pot.

I stopped making it for now as it gets eaten too quickly :D

Livinhope

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 13:54 »
I found the crust a bit chewy.  I did put a pan of water in the bottom because I find the fan oven dries cakes out, so baking anything of a cake,  or pastry nature gets the steam treatment.  Going to have another go but I have to find the right receptacle to bake in.  I threw out a whole set of cast iron pots some years ago.  May have to try the junk shops, as you will know they can't be used on the blasted ceramic hob.  Been pickling and freezing everything in sight at the moment but when it quietens down a bit Imust concentrate and have another go.  The bread reminds me of the bread they used to bake in Malta when I was there as a kid when my father was stationed there.

xx
Free Fresh Yeast

Started by robbobnbill on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 22:48
by agapanthus
xx
Free 14 day trial of Garden Advice Club (+ 2 FREE GARDENING BOOKS)

Started by commerlad on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 08:55
by commerlad
xx
free pack of veg or flower seeds and 8packs free

Started by kezlou on Frugal Living

97 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 19:48
by FRUITFULLS SIS
xx
Free P&P

Started by mumofstig on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 08:15
by JaK

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 37 queries.