jam set

• 6 Replies

catllar

jam set
« on: June 18, 2010, 20:07 »
Anyone know why cherry jam is so unreliable for setting? This year so far I've made about 10 kilos, in separate batches, some have set really well and others have proved a pain in the neck. I even used commercial pectin to try to help the set, but  not a good result. Is it me??? Anyone got any tips, cos we love cherry jam.

SarahB

• Experienced Member
Re: jam set
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 20:36 »
Was there any difference in the ripeness of the fruit in the different batches?  It's supposed to be easier to get a set with slightly under-ripe fruit...

catllar

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 20:41 »
Difficult to say. I bought a 10kilo box and then shoved them into freezer bags and in the freezer until I had time to deal with them. I suppose there could have been some differences. Generally speaking here fruit is sold fully ripe and ready for munching!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 22:02 »
You probably just boiled some batches for longer than the others, so thickened up more

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 00:16 »
Do you know which type of cherries they were? Morello cherries have a "reasonable" amount of pectin but ripe dessert (sweet) cherries are low. They are also low in acid and could do with some lemon juice - this also helps the set. Also, one trick is to use less sugar to fruit to obtain a better set and, if they've been frozen, an extra 10% of fruit to sugar on top.  10 kgs - you must really love cherry jam. :D :D :D
Val
Recipes Galore!

catllar

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 11:05 »
Most likely they are desert cherries - very large, firm and deep, deep red. Yes, perhaps 10kgs was a tad much, but they were dead cheap. I've also just bought a crate of apricots at a euro a kilo and put them in freezer until later. Last year I fell out of a tree picking apricots and broke my spine, so the jam didn;t get made until a friend volunteered to do it for me. This year I am being more canny  and have bought the fruit - you don't have to tell me more than once.! ;) :)

tobysmum

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 13:00 »
I  made cherry jam last week and mine hasn't set either. I used less sugar to fruit and 1/3 bottle of certo. Can I put it all back in the pan and re-boil?

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 38 queries.