It's raining - thank goodness!

• 9 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
It's raining - thank goodness!
« on: June 18, 2010, 17:30 »
Oh joy - it's raining!  That means I can put my feet up with a glass of wine instead of plodding round the garden/allotment all evening with a watering can!  The weatherman said it was the driest start to the year for fifty years and I can well believe it.

kari

Re: It's raining - thank goodness!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 17:40 »
Today was the first time ever that I have yelled horray! when it started to rain, oh how i've changed  :blush:

Am also really pleased, will be nice to relax & watch Gardeners World Live tonight, without having to run out for an hours watering first
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 17:45 »
Me too. It's funny how having an allotment or veg garden changes your appreciation of rain. We had half a day during the week(during which I spent the afternoon at work looking out the window like a school boy). Then.....it was dry again for the rest of the week. Could do with a bit more really.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 19:32 »
we had rain and it lasted just long enough for us to pack the hose away on the plot and walk the 100 paces home and then guess what

It stopped  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 19:36 »
I think we got all your usual rain. Over 6 inches so far this month, which is very unusual for us. We're used to it hot and dry. The potatoes have tall top growth now and have flopped over so I had to fence them up  like I need more work.  >:( And it's going to rain again on Saturday.  >:( >:(

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 20:45 »
I think we got all your usual rain. Over 6 inches so far this month, which is very unusual for us. We're used to it hot and dry. The potatoes have tall top growth now and have flopped over so I had to fence them up  like I need more work.  >:( And it's going to rain again on Saturday.  >:( >:(

It seems to go like that.  They put it down to global warming but I'm not so sure.  El nino/la nina, yes - I'll buy that :)

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 22:24 »
Oh joy - it's raining!  That means I can put my feet up with a glass of wine instead of plodding round the garden/allotment all evening with a watering can!  The weatherman said it was the driest start to the year for fifty years and I can well believe it.

Im happy too! Also meant i could avoid watering and have fun playing with my 2 year old son!

We are still going up together in the morning to water though.. even if raining! His grandad got him his own little metal watering can today (better than the plastic one i had already got him!) and I have promised we can use it tomorrow!! :)

penance

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 22:40 »
I think it was my fault, I watered the veg plot early afternoon.

Zippy

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 23:21 »
Plants only take on water during the day. No point watering at night when there's no sunlight; most of the water just drains away. Best done at dawn.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 08:35 »
Plants only take on water during the day. No point watering at night when there's no sunlight; most of the water just drains away. Best done at dawn.

Best leave it to the rain then - you won't get me out of bed at dawn in June.  Or maybe get Penance to get the watering can out!

Dan - My grandson James  is 9 months and I can't wait to get him a little watering can and some sunflower seeds - maybe next summer :)

xx
oh my goodness!!

Started by lisa on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2006, 20:28
by noshed
xx
Oh my goodness. I may have my own plot!

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 22:16
by SnooziSuzi
xx
thank goodness my sis has just got her own allotment

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 13:35
by snowdrops
xx
Thank goodness for long john's

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 19:25
by gobs

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 37 queries.