What to grow?

• 5 Replies

Solidthegreat

What to grow?
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:10 »
HI everyone, as a newbie to growing anything at all, (before i got my allotment 3 months ago i thought veg were grown in tescos!!) Anyway im still clearing my plot but have already managed to get some potatoes and courgettes in, but i still have a 8ft x 3 ft patch ready for use. Can anyone give me any ideas of what i can still get in this late that would be easy for the beginner to grow. Everything i look at says its too late to sow it or advises not for a beginer to take on (Cauli)  :unsure:  Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What to grow?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:23 »
green beans, winter cabbage, swede............a good few :)

Have a look at the site's  sowing and harvest chart  for more ideas  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:35 »
I'm still planting squashes and courgettes out.  Brassicas are for planting out now. What about sowings? There are loads of veggies to be sown. I'm sure your seed packets will tell you so  :)  Thinking spring onions, pak choi, Florence fennel.

You can plant beans now too. I just checked on the back of the packets. Borlottis and runners

These are just the seed packets lying about on my desk  :)

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 14:11 »
Everything i look at says its too late to sow it or advises not for a beginer to take on (Cauli)  :unsure: 

:ohmy: I hope not - I'm still sowing carrots (early varieties & short stumpy ones), early peas, pea beans, swede, turnip, autumn calabrese, lettuce/salad leaves and also (a first for me to remember to sow in time as I usually only remember too late) winter & spring cabbage  ;)

Why not visit your local garden nursery - they might have stuff you could buy and plant up such as squashes, sweetcorn etc, and don't forget stuff like calabrese & sprouts.  Just make sure you are getting value for money otherwise the crop might end up being a very expensive veg shop!

Or leave it later until autumn when you can think about sowing some broadbeans, & planting garlic & overwintering onions.

Re: caulis.  It's one of those crops that either do amazingly well or performs very badly - sometimes beginners luck helps too.  Maybe hold off a season until you feel more confident.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 23:52 »
I did well with cauli when I started out, so I agree with the point about beginners luck. I think it was because I planted the cauli in firm ground without any cultivation

If I had a new plot I wouldn't wait.  There's plenty of growing to be done  :)

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 07:23 »
Hi Solidthegreat :) we are still sowing more runners beetroots,maincrop carrots lettuces,turnips and peas..
Good luck also with your new allotment very exciting times ahead. :) :) :)
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
what would you grow where?

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 20:13
by titch

Page created in 0.565 seconds with 30 queries.