• 20 Replies

spinny

• http://www.perennialveg.org.uk
Am I too late to plant broccoli?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 19:18 »
Quote from: "sclarke624"
really? what is real broccoli then?

Yeah what WG said.

I get the impression from the book I mentioned as well that brocolli is purple headed or white only...............but I dunno.

Just noticed here:
green brocolli

But that is spears rather than one head.

Of course it doesn't matter as long as it tastes good huh!  But if you go looking for seed packs don't dismiss the ones labelled Calabrese. :lol:  :lol:

A lot of what is sold as 'Cauliflower' in the shops is actually a white-curded broccoli.  It really is a very versatile plant.

Amongst the green varieties, you can find ones that don't form such a large central head, but produce a larger number of side-shoots instead.  look for the open-pollinated varieties rather than the 'F1' varieties for this.

spinny

wellingtons

Right people ...
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 20:45 »
... broccoli covers everything mentioned here, with the exception of cauliflower.

The most common vegetable sold as broccoli is actually calabrese ... you also have purple sprouting broccoli and romanesco.  

But ALL broccoli will continue to flower, even calabrese.  In the case of calabrese it almost converts to a sprouting broccoli, with small sprouting heads all around the plant.  Great value for money.

What we all know as cauliflower, what normally gets slathered in cheese sauce if there's any confusion, is a completely different cultivar, but they are the same species.

spinny

• http://www.perennialveg.org.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 01:29 »
Calabrese is just a green-sprouting broccoli that forms a larger central head and then side shoots. This, however, is a relatively recent introduction and the traditional varieties form a smaller head and are more prolific in their side-shoots.
Until a few years ago (maybe 8,9), most of the seed catalogues listed an open-pollinated variety just called 'green sprouting broccoli'.  This is the parent of what we now consider to be 'calabrese'.  The older varieties are still available if you know where to look for them.

Apart from purple sprouting broccoli (available in both 'early' and 'late' varieties)  There is is also a white-sprouting broccoli, which, as with purple sprouting varieties, is available as 'early' (Christmas - January) and 'late' ( after January) varieties.

There are also purple sprouting varieties that have been bred to develop flowering shoots early in the season.  (from memory 'rudolph' though I would have to check)  These can supposedly be harvested before Christmas, although the only time that I've grown this particular variety, it didn't develop until January, but that might be because I live 1200' up a welsh mountain....

spinny

splodger

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 10:57 »
you are not too late to sow purple sprouting broc.

i made an early sowing in march - but i always make a sowing later - i shall sow my second batch next weekend when i sow my last lot of cabbages.

mushroom

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 17:31 »
Quote from: "splodger"
you are not too late to sow purple sprouting broc.

i made an early sowing in march - but i always make a sowing later - i shall sow my second batch next weekend when i sow my last lot of cabbages.

ok, getting some seeds on the go  8)

I really like broccoli!

gillybee

planting
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 23:36 »
I always plant mine the last week in May and the last week in June so I have two lots to eat when they are ready. They always grow. So go for it.

:lol:  :lol:  :roll:
Hi all, I hope you have bean working hard on your plot the way I do.

xx
Am I too late to sow Broccoli and Calabrese?

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 17:20
by yummy
question
White Sprouting broccoli seed (late).

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2021, 13:17
by Beepee
xx
Funny Tops On Leaks and Is it too late for my broccoli?

Started by mike2niner4 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 09:06
by mike2niner4
xx
Broccoli Ready To Plant Out?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 11:33
by erainn

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 37 queries.