Pea Shoots- surprise

• 47 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Pea Shoots- surprise
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 05:22 »
I made a risotto with broad beans, asparagus, carrot thinnings and pea shoots....delicious!YUM

mobilekat

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 09:22 »
Sounds good- by carrot thinnings do you just mean the roots, or can you use the tops too?
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 09:29 »
Don't know if you can use the tops, but I just used the roots, just to give a little different colour. :)

mobilekat

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 09:39 »
Thanks Tosca- just been researching carrot tops and found

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/recipes.html#tops

So will try a few in a salad- I have been suffering cramp when cycling recently and the carrot tops sound like a cheaper source of Potassium!

I will let you know how they go- and stick to the little ones!

1jim

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 09:58 »
Has anyone tried gorwing these dried peas into full sized plants, are the peas they produce nice?

Livinhope

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 11:06 »
This is from a number of years ago when money was tight but I remember growing the packeted marrow fat peas for pods.  They didn't grow all that tall and the pods only contained a few large peas but it was lovely to have fresh peas from the garden.  Yesterday I planted 'cooking peas', just as an experiment, but they weren't marrowfat, in fact the peas were quite small so hopefully they may produce some tender sweet peas.

zazen999

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 15:53 »
The great thing about pea shoots is that they grow during the winter too so you can sow a pot once a month and have pea shoots all year round.

1jim

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 19:43 »
do you grow them inside (like cress) or outside?

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 21:31 »
In Asda the boxes of dried peas are only 29p for 250g - cheap as chips!

mobilekat

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 22:51 »
You can grow them indoors or outside- most people go indoors in the winter on a window sill.

Chuck loads of pea into a pot of compost and add water!- I have a 8 inch pot full of compost, a layer of peas- literally a BIG handful, cover with an inch of compost and water well.

They will come up as thick as you can imagine. :)

Once about 4 inches tall, chop off the tops and eat!- we had a big handful of the tendrils in a salad tonight- very yum! :D

I have been known to pop an handful in to a small hole dug just about anywhere in the garden- poor OH suddenly finds them popping up when he is on watering duty (I am away lots!)

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 12:28 »
Bought 2 boxes of the Bigga marrofat peas (from Waitrose  ;)) and planted some up in a seed tray (will be a week tomorrow). Cant see a thing happening in tray yet so just wondered how long it takes to see any movement. I assume the peas don't need to be soaked prior to sewing?
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 13:50 »
first post said a week .................

mobilekat

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 20:11 »
As they are planted so thick you tend to notice the compost rising up in the air, before they burst through- we have them coming up in many places at the moment.

I have found the longer you leave them, the stronger the taste.

Just had a Thai style salad with noodles, pea shoot, lettuce and home made fish cakes- Very Yum! :D

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 22:21 »
Bought 2 boxes of the Bigga marrofat peas (from Waitrose  ;)) and planted some up in a seed tray (will be a week tomorrow). Cant see a thing happening in tray yet so just wondered how long it takes to see any movement. I assume the peas don't need to be soaked prior to sewing?

Not all Waitrose branches sell them - ours doesn't so I will have to try somewhere else.  I always find  peas take a bit longer than most stuff.  So does coriander.  It is my third year growing veg and I am only just getting tuned in to germination times :)

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 19:29 »
Shoots started to come through after about 10 days but only in patches....I must be doing something wrong  :(

They were sown in a flat seed tray with normal seed compost, and put outside in an open fronted greenhouse (you know the cheap little plastic ones with zip up front). They are watered daily so don't dry out too much.

If the other seeds dont start shooting soon then we wont get enough to make a contribution to the stir fry or salads. Hubby says he put about 60 peas in the tray (rows of 6 x 10) so maybe thats not the way to do it?

xx
surprise surprise!

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 21:47
by 1st time veg grower
xx
Surprise PSB

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2013, 08:15
by Grubbypaws
xx
butt surprise

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 01, 2006, 13:44
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Nice surprise

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 23:34
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 38 queries.