Cucumber problems

• 15 Replies

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Cucumber problems
« on: June 15, 2010, 13:37 »
Me cucumbers wont grow,can anyone help?
Right we bought decent plants from a good Garden Center after a while they droop badly and keel over as if they are underwatered. But we keep a close eye on watering so looks OK This has happened to about 4 plants so far this year 3 Femspot and a ridge. Not overpotted or pot bound. No idea what the problem is any ideas?
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucumber problems
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 13:53 »
Mumofstig has often quoted how cucumbers wake up every morning looking for an excuse to die!

Last year I had to start Marketmore (outdoor ridge) off again as the first lot all wilted and died as soon as planted out. The second lot were therefore a bit late to produce much.

This year I planted two outside last week; both now dead!  :wacko:

The one still cossetted in the coldframe is looking good (but rubbing its cotyledons with glee at the prospect of being let out soon so it too can die!)

All I can say is that they are exceptionally prone to fail if subjected to anything they don't like, and that includes over or under-watering, cold winds, cold temperatures day or night, and whatever else they can think of!!

They do OK when established in nice warm conditions; until you get those conditions I can only suggest treating them with exceptional care; my last plant will probably be covered in some sort of polythene tent to try and keep these cool breezes and night-time temperatures away from them.

Anyone knowing of an outdoor variety with a bit more will to live please let me know!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 14:21 »
I know the fruit looks strange (see the name ::) ) but my crystal lemon cues have been outside for the last 2 weeks and haven't lost the will to live, in fact they seem to be growing well...........I hope I haven't jinxed them by saying that   :blink:
but the 2 gherkins that went out with them just curled up their toes  :(.......whatever
I'm past worrying about them now  :(

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 14:46 »
My organic somatorothers went on holiday to a greenhouse for a weekend before they were planted out and got a bit scorched.  Once I planted them out they held out for two weeks then just keeled over, all ten of them, humph!  I've planted ten more but looking at this thread I'm not holding out for success. 

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 15:34 »
I was wondering... I started mine quite early under glass, brought them on. One died and one has been about two inches tall for about three or four weeks.  :blush:

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 17:53 »
One died

I've managed to kill 6 this year, not including un-germinated seeds ... what I need is more seeds than a cucumber knows ways to die :D

¥

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 18:00 »
I had 2 in a growbag in the greenhouse which were just taking off.... one had even grown the tiniest cucumber possible on it.

Next time I went to water them a blooming slug/snail had got in and eaten right through the stem  :mad: :mad: :mad:

The other one is hanging in there - no signs of a death wish yet! ;)
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 18:34 »
My marketmore are doing ok and have flowers but the greenhouse cucs* i put in the garden have 4" cucumbers on them.

*variety escapes me ,some greek philoif bloke.

jamima

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 18:57 »
I lost several last yr but i've just picked a cue yes day. :)

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 19:15 »
As Jay said, cukes really do need warmth, both day and night, so check your night time temps as these may be doing in your cukes. Until you're sure of steady warmth, it's best to keep them in mini polytunnels or cloches or whatever else you can make.
Cukes are also very susceptible to wilt caused by insects carrying the condition around. I prefer to mulch mine with a bit of straw so there's no splashback on leaves when watering and gives them a bit more warmth. When they're larger, they can take splashing on leaves no problem. But as young seedlings, they're SO vulnerable. Years back all veg gardeners kept their young cukes in special shallow cold frames so that they'd survive into summer when the frame windows were thrown open for the summer.

Must admit that I just direct seed mine when the weather behaves and they spring up within days and we never look back (unless the rabbits choose to snack >:() so I've solved that problem by hiding them deep in my garden where the rabbits won't wander.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 19:30 »
hi just like to ask a cuey quezzi.when are they ready to pick?i have a telegraph about 8 inches long 1 inch thick ,its still got the flower on the end and is a bit gnarly in appearance.not grown them before you see and i dont want to spoil my first cue. i also have a socrates plant with about 10 cues on ,one is about5 inches long and a nice pale green with a smooth skin its a mini type so do you think its ready? or has it got to swell some more or should i go by trail and error. :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 20:04 »
They are usually ready when the skin is no longer wrinkly and they are the same thickness most of the way down  :)
As for your mini cu does it look like the packet or label picture?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 20:09 »
Must admit to eating our 3rd this year already, lovely just can't remember the name of them ??? Primo or something with a P ?

When you water cukes make sure you don't get the stems wet they really don't like that, I tend to pant them a little higher than the pot soil, just 1/2" above soil level to help with water run off. And don't forget they like a bit more humidity than tomatoes
 :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 20:14 »
I plant my cues into a bottomless pot that stands about half its depth above the soil, or compost in a large bottom pot, and then only water the bottom ;)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 20:25 »
I plant my cues into a bottomless pot that stands about half its depth above the soil, or compost in a large bottom pot, and then only water the bottom ;)

Ahh that's posh :)

xx
cucumber problems

Started by polly tunnel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 14:20
by milkman
xx
cucumber problems!

Started by amber on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 03:47
by kezlou
xx
courgette and cucumber problems

Started by stevej on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2015, 20:41
by oldgrunge
clip
Crystal lemon cucumber problems

Started by Phil Aldridge on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 15:21
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 38 queries.