mystery of dead quails?

• 6 Replies

jobson336

• Experienced Member
mystery of dead quails?
« on: June 14, 2010, 15:28 »
hi, i am totally new to this so forgive me as i have never used this frum before!

ive been keeping chickens for about 2 months now and its great, i have also got (or had 4 quail - 1 male and 3 female) in a seperate hutch with a run.

when i went this morning to feed them there were 2 dead female in the run. its wooden framed and covered with wire mesh, the  birds were dead in the run. i thought that a rat had got them but im beginning to doubt it and want some advicetheres no evidence to suggest a rat got in, i cant see any holes?

they were attacked from the back of the neck, the feathers were stripped off the neck and the neck bloodied. no other injury or damage to the body. they had laid eggs for the first time as well. 2 eggs and 2 dead females? could this be a rat or would the male have done this and why?

please help if anyone can?

thanks
scott

8doubles

Re: mystery of dead quails?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 15:47 »
Are you rural , a bite to the back of the neck at the base of the skull is a typical weasel, stoat or mink kill.
The old saying is `a weasel will get through a wedding ring' if that gives an idea of the size hole needed for one to get in.

On the other hand cock quail can be psychopaths.

Ps welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 15:52 by 8doubles »

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 16:11 »
I'm afraid your living Quails are to blame :(

Had the same happen with mine :(

Spider

jobson336

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 16:16 »
thanks for getting back guys, both sound like a possibility as am out in the countryside. is it better to just have female quails on their own then as not really interested in breeding. i assume it is the male that is more aggressive!

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 07:49 »
I had two females and one male, all seemed well until I found one of the females in a very bad way, neck feathers stripped and a lot of blood around the back of the neck, but still alive.
That was a few months ago now, and the female made a full recovery, but I have kept her apart from the other two. All seem pretty content tho I don't like keeping one on her own :(

I've hatched a few more, and plan on trying to introduce her to them :)

They are supposed to be very territorial, so I will build them a small aviary and put them in at the same time.

Hope things go ok with yours :)

Spider

jobson336

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 16:30 »
hi,
so it was the male that had attacked the female. one of the females was still alive when i found them but she looked very weak and in such a bad way and she died shortly after.
last night i put the others into the hutch and left the body of one of the dead females in the run to see if it was tampered with, when i checked this morning it was as i left it, i thought if it was a rat or weasle it would have returned, still both a possibilty.
thanks for getting back to me,
scott

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 16:34 »
If a weasel had got it, i would expect the body would have been dragged to the place it got in and it would have tried to take it away (or munched it there and then)

It wouldn’t just kill it and leave it where it was (Unless disturbed)

More likely to be in-fighting

Edit: also a mink or similar goes for the neck but usually to sever the spine, not likely to pull too many feathers - seems more like a pecking wound? - Others may disagree?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 16:36 by Lewjam »
I hate signatures but love irony

xx
anyone know anything about quails?

Started by sunshineband on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 16:29
by poppies
xx
Quails

Started by stu_wat on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 11:41
by chicken soup
xx
Does anyone have Quails?

Started by Butterfly on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 09:24
by muntjac
xx
quails?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 21:47
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 36 queries.