muddled about introducing more hens

• 7 Replies

jhub

• jane
muddled about introducing more hens
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:57 »
Hello again,

I have 3 hybrids, one of whom has been ill with presumed mycoplasma. I want to buy some more hens and realise that I will need to quarantine them but will they be at risk of contracting mycoplasma?

Also if I decide to have  pure breeds will they have had vaccinations?
 thanks
Jane

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: muddled about introducing more hens
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14 »
there are so many vaccinations for a chicken to be fully vaccinated that a small breeder would not be able to afford to do this. Some places advertise that their birds are fully vaccinated but when questioned they are only vaccinated against 3 or 4 illnesses wheras so far I have found 22 vaccines for different illnesses and different strains of the same illness and I am sure there are more. I have some pure breeds (araucanas and sablepoots) and none of them are vaccinated.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 15:11 »
I think the best thing to do would be to hold off on buying the new ones until your other girl has completey recovered, just to be on the safe side :mellow:  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 20:36 »
so once my hen is fully better could she still pass on mycoplasma to a non vaccinated hen?
still muddled.com

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:15 »
Yes she can, because a recovered chicken becomes a carrier :(

Daftodil

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 14:02 »
That does not sound good, I have 4 ex-batts waiting to join my flock of 5 hybrids plus cockerel and I think they all have or have had this mycoplasma. I took 2 to the vet and paid £xxx only to be told they do not do farm animals any more so am reluctant to take them to another vet. They all eat well and I get 4 eggs a day, feathers are good, eyes bright but they sneeze alot. I was waiting until they get better to introduce the ex-batts who are very healthy and noisey if a bit short on feathers and very friendly. Should you never mix "new" birds with infected ones? Should the infected ones be put down? Sorry, but I have to ask.

Speckly Sarah

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 14:39 »
Having read these posts, I am a bit concerned... I have 4 hybrids which I've had for about six weeks. One of them is continually sneezing and has been since I had her. 2 of the other have started laying but she has not, although her crown is quite enlarged and very red and has been since we got her. The other chicken is still too young to lay but it does concern me that she could have some disease??? We were assured they were fully vaccinated when we got them.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 15:50 »
when i got my first two chooks last yr, one of them came down with micro symptoms, she was treated and i waited a few weeks until she was fully recovered, then i introduced 2 new girls and everything was fine, they never showed any symptoms,  i just think you should wait unitl she has cleared completey before introducing newbies.  nickyx

xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing New Hens

Started by Barbiea on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 09:09
by broodyhen
xx
introducing new hens

Started by arrbee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 12:08
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.622 seconds with 38 queries.