Black polythene or semi membraneous

• 10 Replies

morverngirl

Black polythene or semi membraneous
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:24 »
Once  my whole plot has been rotovted do I cover those areas I am not able to immediately cultivate with black polthene or a semi membraneous fabric, cost is also an implication. :unsure: any advice welcome

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
Re: Black polythene or semi membraneous
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 13:03 »
Hi

You can put anything down that completely excludes the light. If cost is a consideration, can you use cardboard? As long as it is held down well, I have found it works a treat, and will also rot in to the soil over time or can be dug in. Unfortunately, my allotment never allowed anything like that to be used, so you may need to check what you are allowed to use.

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 19:15 »
Good evening and welcome to the site. :D

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 21:54 »
Make sure you clear the perennial weeds before you rotovate, then either black plastic or membrane will do.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:13 »
Black plastic doesn't let water through, and slugs collect under it.  As it doesn't let rain through the soil underneath will dry out

Black heavy duty sheet mulch is rough and slugs don't like it plus it lets rain pass through which keeps the soil underneath in good friable condition

morverngirl

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:42 »
Thanks compostqueen, found good price on internet and I suppose it will also supress weeds when I plant my strawberries etc when time comes

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 22:32 »
My first ever piece of black sheet mulch came from a strawberry grower and it had holes where the plants had been   :)  I grew spuds through it  :)  It's good stuff (if you get the heavy duty) and you can use it on the paths.

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 19:41 »
A lot of the membrane stuff is sold as 'to be used with' other mulching material on top, and isn't enough on it's own to keep the light out adequately. Some that I have bought from the likes of poundland, was so thin, I doublt that it would stop anything from growing up through it with or without anything else on top! I got some reaasonable quality stuff from wilko's a couple of years back, and even that needs to be double thickness really, to be used on it's own.
Check out your local freecycle for sources of well rotted horse manure. As long as it doesn't pong, it can go straight on the ground. (Except where you want to grow carrots or parsnips!)
Cardboard is good. Straw is probably not a good idea on opwn ground. With nothing to anchor it, it will be all over everyone else's plots after a strong breeze! The cut weeds left in situ, is better than nothing, too.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 23:11 »
It's got to be heavy duty sheet mulch, such as Tenax red stripe etc

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 08:13 »
i tryed covering my old garden far a few months before digging when i lifted the weed sheet it looked as tho it had made no diference other than to slow the groth the next section i covered i cut the grass and left the clippings there corered in uncomposted waste and 2 bags of fresh manure left it for a month when i took the sheet off there was no need to even dig :) this was with the wilcos own £3:50 rolls

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 08:26 »
Membrane if you can afford it especially if you're going to have to leave some of it down for more than one season, then you can plant through it with fewer concernes about watering. Even if you don't like squash you can grow loads of large orange pumpkins through the membrane and pass them on to family and friends in October.

xx
black polythene

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 12:47
by beansticks
xx
"Semi-bush" or "semi-vine"?

Started by Endymion on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 00:05
by Endymion
xx
bed in semi shade?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 22:21
by waddecar
xx
Semi-shade veg & fruit

Started by Gareth W-D on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 22:54
by Gareth W-D

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 36 queries.