potato disaster

• 3 Replies

mollyblob

potato disaster
« on: June 12, 2010, 23:05 »
I have one compost bag with first earlies growing in, and one of main crop.  Yesterday I was thinking to myself how huge they'd both grown- massive plants exploding out of the bag.

This morning my first earlies had completely wilted and fallen over (not blown over I don't think- it was pretty calm here last night).  I propped it up as best i could.  This evening I came home... it had been completely eaten by little slugs.  They'd chewed completely through the main stems just leaving stumps and everything had started to shrivel.  I was maybe a bit hasty, but I decided to cut my losses even though I think it's massively early and managed to unearth 4 little potatoes, then chucked the dead looking plants.  So disappointing! 

Was it something I did or didn't do, or just one of those things?  I don't want my main crop to suffer the same fate!

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Re: potato disaster
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 23:17 »
what a shame - soul destroying...

what went wrong? well slugs usually attack the tubers but by the sound of it you have a small army in residence!  I know its not "politically correct" I do use a mixture of slug pellets, the water on stuff (Slugit) , organic killer and the nematodes (which are expensive) I use these on a range of crops as slugs/snails can decimate a crop overnight...
Death OR Cake ???

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:55 »
I have potatoes both in grow bags and in the ground the ones on the allotment have first been hit by frost then devestated by slugs, the grow bags are doing great. To me the advantages of bags is you can start early, bring them indoors if frost threatens but also it is easy to protect from pests, pick your method pellets work or if you dont like them a copper ring round the bag should work fine. The great thing with bags is you can pop out to the patio rumage in the bag and you have fresh spuds in the pot in a couple of minutes, then leave the rest to grow on lovely :D   

hubballi

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 09:23 »
I have used nematodes and they seem to work very well. They don't help with my tubers growing though which at the moment are small and non existent.

xx
potato disaster

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2015, 08:58
by JayG
xx
Disaster after disaster this year

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 00:25
by leeky
xx
Pea Disaster

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2006, 14:02
by supersprout
xx
disaster

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 15:47
by Trillium

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 36 queries.