Fruit flies in my duck shed - advice please?

• 12 Replies

lisacj

Fruit flies in my duck shed - advice please?
« on: June 11, 2010, 19:54 »
Hi all,
I've just set up a brand new duck shed for my ducklings, and am keeping them on a mix of hemcore (citronella treated) and wood shavings. They are fed ONLY duck crumb, and are under a brooder lamp (infra red). Thy have constant access to food and water and are growing like weeds  :D BUT - in the last week, I've found LOADS of fruit flies in the duck shed when I go in. They don't seem to bother the ducklings, who seem to enjoy 'snapping' at them when they get close, but I've no idea where they are coming from, or what's attracting them? I've hung up non-insecticidal fly strips, but they're not making much of an impression. Should I be worried? I clean the whole shed out every 2 - 3 days and they have a clean layer of flooring every morning. I'm baffled because I don't know how I can keep it any cleaner? Please help! Thanks
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 20:06 by lisacj »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Fruit flies in my duck shed - advice please?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 20:19 »
get a redtop fly killer and place it about 10 yards from where the flies are - this will attract the flies over to it. It takes them a couple of weeks to get going but they really do work. Also pooh pick once or twice a day with the ducklings.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 20:49 »
It's very difficult to poo pick with ducklings as (if like mine) they drink an awful lot of water and the poops are wetter than chick poop. I too have had this problem the past few weeks in the adult house and have a redtop so not sure what else to try. The redtop is worth getting though as mine is full of flies so it would be far worse in the run without it!  :)

lisacj

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:55 »
Thanks so much both of you. I did try to pooh pick, but ended up just re-distributing it more than collecting, I think  :wub:
I'll certainly try the red-tops.....do you think the flies are a problem for the ducklings? I'm keeping the shed very clean so I don't know where they are coming from?! :tongue2:

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:58 »
I don't think they are a problem and I do sometimes get them in with the chickens, just keep doing what you are doing - the red tops though are brilliant - we get loads of flies as we have so many trees and a beck at the side of us plus farmland all around so I have 3 of these up and they are trapping absolutely loads and loads of flies.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:58 »
I fully disinfect every week with a dry disinfectant and jeyes in the warmer months and still have the same problem. I just think duck poop is very attractive to flies. My ducks don't seem bothered and the little ones love chasing flies so maybe it counts as entertainment for them  ;) :lol:

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 11:02 »
i dont think this weathers helping either,  if like us, we are having perfect fly weather, damp and very muggy its alwful for june,    flies are gonna be attracted to the smell of the poo, your not gonna get away from that.  Personally i have my doubts about these red tops, sorry if i step on anyones toes here but before i got my chooks last yr obviously there was no flies, then i got my girls and we got a few which was to be expected because of the poo, so after a couple of mths i had read about these red tops so i got one, hung it up like it says,  well i then began to get loads of flies its was alwful, i dont know whether by hanging that up i attracted more flies, took it down and the numbers subsided, this yr i have had hardly any flies wot so ever,   its just a personal opinion.    nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 11:06 »
I've never used them before and last year we had so many flies getting into our house, since having these I have seen just 2 so am well pleased. Like I say with where I live and the combination of water and trees (plus horses next door) we always get thousands of flies so having these are so far is proving wonderful.

lisacj

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:21 »
You don't know how much you have all cheered me up!! I was feeling like a really bad 'mummy' to my ducklings and was driving myself insane cleaning  :wacko: They do seem to like chasing the flies, and having read all your messages, I realise that I have the same conditions - farm land all around, loads of trees, and a river!! I'll try all of your tips, thanks so much.  :D xx

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 11:22 »
well if you find something that works 100% then let us know  ;)  :lol:

lisacj

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 11:37 »
Hee hee - will do, but given my level of experience compared with yours, I wouldn't hold my breath!! :nowink:

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 00:03 »
Hi Lisa,
Just think of all that free protein-full food source the ducklings are getting! They would get flies if in the wild, so perfectly natural for them to have a supply now! Let them chomp away - they will get better at chasing them as they get older too - and fab entertainment for you!
EJ

lisacj

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 09:51 »
 :D

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Duck advice

Started by neil1967 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2009, 00:08
by neil1967
xx
Duck claws not quite right, advice please?!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 13:54
by flangey
xx
Duck training advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 13:40
by matilda duck

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 30 queries.