Treadle Feeders

• 5 Replies

carolbriar

Treadle Feeders
« on: June 11, 2010, 15:12 »
I have a big problem with Jackdaws, crows etc coming into the run and eating the hen food.  The area would be very difficult to cover so am thinking of a treadle feeder.  Are there any things I should be looking out for when purchasing one?  I have found one on Regency Poultry which is £29.99 which is very reasonable.  Anyone with experience with these feeders ie, pros and cons etc would be very useful.  Thanks
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

chuckmad

Re: Treadle Feeders
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 16:27 »
What is a treadle feeder?
All the birds in the neighbour hood are eating my chicken feed.  Between the hens and the birds they manage to knock my feed off the brick onto the ground and stand the feeder back up again. I'm starting to lose all patience.  I was thinking of putting netting across the top of the run.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 16:46 »
A treadle feeder is one that can only be opened by the hen standing on the base which opens up the food inside.  Not well explained by me really.  The link is:  http://www.regencypoultry.com/feeders/metalfeeders/treadle_feeder.htm   if you scroll down the page it will show you how it works.  It means that a jackdaw or crow etc shouldn't be able to get at the food because they won't be heavy enough for it to open.  Our run is too big to be able to put netting over it - that would be my first thought but we would have to put posts in the middle to hold any chicken wire or netting up as well as the fact it is not square or rectangular doesn't help either.  I have spoken to Regency Poultry and they are not in stock at the moment but will be getting them in next Wednesday.  I have just changed my hens food and the jackdaws etc seem to think it was bought just for them >:( 
I will let you know if I get one - I think I probably will but would like to hear from someone who has used them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 17:47 »
there are generally 2 sizes of treddle feeders one for large fowl and the other for bantams. I think when you first get them you have to start by placing a stome or bit of rock on the treadle so the girls get used to standing on it to eat and then before too long they will get the idea and you can remove the stone. They are also good for stopping rats getting the food.
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 18:06 »
Hi Joyfull, the one I am looking at is a 10kg feeder but doesn't say whether it is for large fowl or bantams.  I just hope it stops all the wild birds eating all the food!  Do you think the 10kg one will be big enough?  It should be, I only have 5 hens. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 18:23 »
10kg is half a sack of feed so should be plenty  :D

xx
Feeders and Mess

Started by Lewjam on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 17:49
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 30 queries.