Site waste management

• 17 Replies

kari

Re: Site waste management
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 12:29 »
I have loads of stuff to clear off of the allotment i've taken over, I just assumed I was responsible for getting rid?

I have 4 compost bins, so everything that can is going in those, wood is all being put together for a fire & everything else is being bagged up & I have been using the wheelbarrow to take a few bags home each night to sort, recycle or bin.

Hubbie is going to bring the car up at the weekend to take all the big heavy metal things away to the tip.

New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 12:35 »
Blimey :blink:
If the word Rave dates you then Disco makes us positively neolithic :lol:

Regards
Dave
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 12:56 »
I've been here so many times.  Sounds like your members have had it too good for too long.

Send a clear message on your notice boards.  Members are responsible for taking their own rubbish home.  You may have to go as far as “Untidy plots will not be tolerated” But I’d avoid that if it can be helped.  It’s not a popular approach.

Here’s what we did:
Tell your members If they have rubbish on their site then they will be asked by the Committee to remove it.  Make sure that you recognise that some members might need a little help removing stuff. 

Sometimes you have to identify problems early.  For the members that are going to be a problem (you already know who they are) have a direct and frank talk with them.  Agree a time table for removing their junk, identify problem areas and items and warn them that if they move it to an empty plot or just dump in somewhere on site they will not have their agreement renewed next year.

Like you say there is some inertia.  Start now and make it a big issue at the AGM and keep up the pressure.  You can change hearts and minds but it takes a bit of time.    Most of our members are brilliant but for some of our members it would never occur to them to take their rubbish home or even burn it.  They just pile it up.  They are learning though.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

xx
Self Management

Started by neal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 17:18
by Yorkie
xx
Grants for water saving & management. Anyone have experience of this?

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 13:04
by corynsboy
xx
Don't like waste

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 10:02
by Livinhope
xx
Snake waste

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 20:25
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.634 seconds with 36 queries.